Önnur ensku ritgerð - Af hverju erum við, við? Eins og sést, þá er myndin í töluvert lélegum gæðum, enda er hún tekin með farsímanum mínum. En ástæðan fyrir því að ég sendi hana inn er hvort eð er aðallega til að fólk komi ekki með eitthvað væl um að ég hafi framið ritstuld eins og með seinni ritgerðina.

Veit ekki hvað ég fæ fyrir þessa ritgerð, en við sjáum til þegar ég fæ hana aftur, en ég mun skila henni á morgun.

Værsgo':

3. Chalk and Cheese

Since the dawn of the civilized world, people have been asking a number of questions about their existence, about who we are, where we come from, why we are here, and the question which we will be discussing in this paper; why we are like we are.
Of course, at first glance this might seem to be easily answered with: “Because you are the child of your parents.” Yes, that is true, but only to an extent. Why are our parents like they are, and their parents? If our personalities depend only upon our parents’ personalities, then where did the first humans draw their traits from?
As you can see, the question about why are like we are and the question about why we are at all, are highly interconnected, which forces us to delve much deeper than we expected to go.
When people’s inquiries about our existence first started to surface, people had no way of scientifically explaining their existence, or any part of it, due to lack of technology. Human being humans, their nature was answering something apparently unanswerable with semi-answers in which they can take refuge. They started to try and explain their existence with omnipotent beings such as gods and the like. Those beings had supposedly created them, the earth, and of course the rest of the universe, and the sole reason for mankind’s existence was that the gods wanted it to exist.
This, which I’ll take the liberty to call a misconception, was not to last forever. As mankind progressed through evolution, technology advanced, and more and more people stopped believing in the gods or other omnipotent beings, and looked to the earth, instead of the skies, for answers to their questions. Just like with anything else that exists, you can find a “signature” that indicates why it is like it is, and what it is made of. This, what seemed to be the very building blocks of mankind, was discovered by mankind as technology progressed, and it is what we know as genes.
This does clarify, within limits, why we are like we are. If we have a bad temper, we have a gene in our DNA which makes us have bad tempers. If your parents have bad tempers, you are almost certainly going to have one too.
But this does still not explain how identical twins, which are basically a copy of each other and have the exact same genes, can have different personalities. One could grow up to be an athlete; while the other would much rather prefer to be at home, reading a book. As is apparent, our personalities are not only dependent on our genes, or the genes of our parents.
Even though experts claim that 50% of our personality comes from our genes, I refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe that, just like I refuse to believe that thinking is simply snaps of synapses and chemical reactions taking place in our brain. I do not consider myself a very spiritual person, but I like to think that some aspects of our existences are beyond scientific explanation.
In my opinion, personality comes almost solely from our experiences. There are some aspects of our personalities, of course, which we do inherit from our parents and ancestors, but I do not believe we inherit as much as 50% of our personality.
Had I not moved to Denmark, I would be a completely different person. I would not have learned Danish, I would not have met my girlfriend, and I would not have met many of my best friends. I would, however, have met other people, which would have influenced my personality differently, most likely resulting in another, or at least very different persona.
In a similar manner, if I would not have been born in Iceland, I would not have been influenced by our culture in the way I have been, which, again, would have resulted in a different personality.
There are obviously several different parts of our experiences that influence our personae in diverse ways. Bad experiences might educate us in a way such that we don’t repeat our mistakes. Good experiences might strengthen our confidence, make us fonder of our existence resulting in a much more open person, and our childhood would naturally build the basis of our personality.
Intriguingly, our personality itself is what limits its evolution. If you were a very shy person, you would in all probability not make many friends, meaning that you would not have as many influences in your life as an open person would.
This subject is much too intricate for one to cover it in a single essay. There are an endless number of possible influences to our personalities, and they all depend on an enormous variety of different aspects of each and everyone’s life.
Notwithstanding how much you change, one should beware of becoming someone else.