Hérna er lítil smásaga eftir vin minn, ég tek engann heiður af henni. Mér fannst hún frekar góð og vildi fá að vita hvernig öðrum líst á hana. Segið endilega skoðun ykkar á henni.

A rat, a wolf and a fox sat together by a table at a late night in a bar that we won't mention by name for now. The sun had long since sat down on it's perch down in the earth and the crickets where now active, singing their song in the night. Besides the crickets there was no activity outside. Inside the tavern was another matter though as people chanted their songs and drank their drinks together. Spending the night and stomachs for the drinks and the food.

The fox poked the rat in the chest and said in a angry voice. “Why don't you go home and hang with your own kind.” He looked over to the wolf like he was seeking the bigger canines approval and grinned.

With a nod and a poke of his own the wolf agreed with the fox as he said. “Just leave here rat or face us!” He got up and went over to his own table with the fox following, they leave the rat to his table but not without snapping at him first.

The rat only smiles and takes to his drink again. With a look of carelessness on his face the rat stands up and walks over to the table were the two canines were sitting. He takes out a napkin from his pocket and wipes his mouth with great care, getting every spot of dirt on his face as he continues to watch the other two with a dull look on his face. Still he doesn't say anything, he just stares at the increasingly annoyed canines.

The wolf gets up with the intention of hitting the rat in his mind. The fox in the meanwhile just sits and watches. To much of a coward to dare and do anything, one might also say that he was smarter then the wolf.

The cowardly act on the wolfs hand is halted though as the rat puts his hand suddenly up in front of the much bigger animals snout. The wolf stops with the hand inches from his nose and wonders to himself if the little rat was crazy or something, none had defied him like this before.

Without a care in the world the rat finished wiping his face still with his hand halting the wolf. He emits a little hiccup before he bundles up the napkin and throws it behind his back where it hits the dead centre of the trashcan much to the surprise of his two on lookers.

With a smirk he says. “Ok guys. You say that I am a slow runner and equally as stupid! The two bullies nod their heads. The rat continues. ”You say that I am poor and that I smell! Right? The canines nod again.

The rat walks around the big wolf oblivious to the anger on the wolfs face. The rat still looking very ignorant to the things around him picks up the wolfs glass and takes a sip testing the liquid in his mouth for a moment before he swallows.

The big furious wolf takes a step to the rat again and this time he was really going to beat up the little fellow. No one could humiliate him like that and come out of it intact. He was stopped yet again by the same hand inches from his nose.

The rat turns to the wolf again and says. “Wait? I haven't finished! For the second time the rat looks at the canines meal but this time he doesn't attack the drinks but the food. He chews the meat as he beckons the wolf with his finger to wait for a second.

If the wolf would be any more angry then he was right now then his ears would probably be shooting flames. He steps closer yet again and raises his clenched hand ready to pound the little fellow. Interruption comes for the second time as the rat say's.

”I have a proposition for you that is to good to be true!“ The rat stares at the bigger animal and smiles, showing allot of bad and crooked teeth. Before the other two can even reply the rat goes on. ”I happened to see that you have a substantial amount of money in your purse! Actually it looks like you boys won the damned lottery!“

The wolf forgets about his anger for a while and a feeling of loathing is born in his chest instead. He looks at the fox and then at the rat. ”What is that to you rat? I guess you are a thief as well. It wouldn't surprise me!“ The fox mimics the wolf and looks for approval but gets none as the wolf is busy staring at the little rat.

”I don't intend to steal anything from you. But I do have a wager I want to present to you? The rat says.

We don't wager with no thieves the fox snaps but is silenced as the bigger canine gives him the evil eye. “And what is it that you want to wager rat?”

The rat looks around the room and yawns a little before he takes a seat beside the fox much to the bullies dislike. He then says. “You two claim to be my superiors both in intellect and in fitness. I have one thing to say! Prove it?” The rat relaxes oblivious to the world in his chair watching the surprised look on the faces of the other two, he can't help but smile and chuckle a little at this comical thing.

“We don't have to prove anything to you.” The fox says as his face is contracted into a childish scowl. He moves a little in his seat and is obviously a little nervous. The wolf doesn't seem quite to agree as he snorts at the fox. “Why not show him the truth and take his money as well!” With a nod and then a second scowl the fox looks over to the wolf again and whines. “But what money! You just said a moment before that he was a poor, dirty and disgusting beggar.” The smaller canine looks in disgust to the rat as he speaks the last word.

Before the wolf can answer the foxes question the rat suddenly snaps. “I will make it like this then! He looks to the wolf and asks. ”How much money do you have?“

”None of your buis….“ The fox tries to say but is interrupted by the wolf as he hastily says. ”Ten thousand Silver pieces!“ He practically whispers this and then looks around the room to see if anybody was showing him too much attention. He looked like he was satisfied with what he saw as his worries fated away.

The rat says. ”Then I offer you this! If I loose this bet then you can sell me on the slave market, and that should as you know give you even more then the amount you have now. But if you loose then you will give me all of the money you have.“ The rat goes on. ”But still there would have to be something more in it for me then the money as I am betting a little more then you are.

“Name your prize rat?” The wolf says. The fox at the same time snorts in contempt but is silenced as the wolf gives him the evil eye.

With a grin and then a smile the rat continues. “You have humiliated me here tonight so I would like to do the same to you if I win the bet!

The two canines look at one another and whisper a few words between them. They look up from their whispering a few times to stare at the rat as he looks upon them.

With his very sensitive ears the rat can make out a few words. He smirks to himself as he hears a part of a sentence. ”The thing is that he just can't beat us what ever it is.“ One of the canines whispers unaware of the well hearing ears of the rat.

Both of them are smiling as they get up. The rat doesn't lift an eyebrow though and seems to keep his calm. The wolf steps forward and points at the rat. ”If we win then we can have you ourselves as our private slave.“

The rat nods his head and says after a loud yawn from his muzzle. ”Very well then my friends.“

With a grinding sound from his teeth the fox seems to dislike the fact of being called friend by the supposedly inferior being. At least the rat was so in his eyes. He is stilled from saying anything though as the wolf gives him another look. He puts a hand on the smaller animals shoulder and says to the tired looking rat. ”What is the bet then? Rat!“ The wolf sits down now looking a little more sober and relaxed then he was before.

The rat pulls a little on his hood and speaks. ”The jeweller in this town is a badger named crott. He is out of town right now so we can use him for our little bet.“ With a nod he takes another sip from the wolfs glass.

With a angry snatch of the hand the wolf grapes back his glass from the rats paw. ”What do you mean by that? What does he have to do with the bet? He snaps.

“Well he is the bet I might say.” The rat continues smiling as the other two stare at him feebleminded.

The canines do not say anything this time but both of them do stare at the rat with a look of confusion on their faces. The only sound that can be heard now is the background sound of the other patrons as they chatter away the night. The fox breaks the silence though as he takes a drink from his glass.

“The bet goes like this?” The rat says with a pause at the end. He looks into the faces of the other two watching their reflexes before he continues. “The first to get back here in two days with a certain gem the jeweller has in his possession will be the winner.”

“But that's stealing.” The fox almost shouts as the last statement falls. The wolf shushes him though with a wave of his hand. He tries to say something but is interrupted by the rat as he continues.

“Yes it would basically be stealing but this stone is made out of plastic though and is not valuable. In fact it isn't worth squat!” The rat hangs on for a moment looking the other two over. He then goes on. “The fake gem is a decoy for the real stone is being transported by another rout. The fake one will on the other hand be heavily defended though so it will test ones speeds strength and intellect to get it. So the one to reach this tavern in three days with the stone will be the winner.

The wolfs face is intrigued by the challenge as he says. ”But where is he headed and by what road? The fox does not utter a word this time but watches the rat with a glimmer of curiosity in his eyes.

The rat smiles a little as his mind enters a state of bliss by the knowledge of success. He then utters after a time of thinking. “He is actually not far from here. He only left two hours ago with his convoy, so it should be a simple matter of catching up with him. And the matter of where they are going is simple. They head to the city by the blue road and they travel the north way!

The wolf shows no signs of hesitation as he gets up and leaves for the door with the fox trailing behind him. The tavern is soon empty of their presence but still the rat sits on eating their food.

After an hour the wolf and the fox are well on their way after the merchants convoy. As the rat finishes their food he gets up to his old but able feet and heads for the door. He pauses for a moment in the door and a wide grin spreads on his face as he pulls out the two bullies money pouch. He then gently puts his lips on it and kisses it whispering to himself. ”So easy! All it takes is a little thought and a good story."

JG