Við áttum að endurskrifa sögu um Sherlock Holmes sem við lásum og hún átti að vera á ensku. Þetta er mín saga.

The Speckled Band

I sat in my chair in my flat in Baker Street in London very early morning. Then a young woman, in black came in, she looked very tired and unhappy, and her hair was starting to turn grey. She was very afraid, afraid of death she said.

I told her to sit down and tell us why se was so afraid and who she was. She said her name was Helen Stone, and then she started to tell us why. I live with my stepfather, Dr Grimebsy Roylott. He learned doctor in a university when he had finished the doctor he travels to India. In India he meets my mother and marries my mother. Then I asked her did your mom have money? Yes said Helen a lot of them.

When my sister was young dad died. Eight years ago my mom died in an accident and my stepfather got all the money but if Julia or I get married he will have to pay us 250 Pond every year. I asked her if she lives with him. Yes she said, everybody in the village are afraid of him he is very violent man and he got danger animals and every man run away when they see him. Julia my sister died when she was turning thirty and her hair was turning grey like mine. When did she died I asked? Two years ago Helen said. I told her to tell me everything about her death. She started to talk after she cried a little our three bedrooms are side to side Julia in the middle room. The evening she died my father was smoking a strong Indian cigarette in his room. My sister couldn’t sleep because she could smell the cigarettes in her room. Because of that she came into my room and talked to me. Right before she went back to her room she said to me. Helen have you ever heard a whistle in a middle of the night? No I said. She said it is very strange sometimes I hear a whistle, but I don’t have any idea where it is coming from.

I said. I sleep better than you do and my sister went to her room.
This night was very stormy and much rain and windy. Suddenly I heard a woman scream and it came from my sister room and it was her voice. I ran to my sister room and heard a whistle and a minute after that I heard a sound of a falling metal. I didn’t know what it was then in that moment she opened the door and she was crying and her face was white and afraid. She shouted, help me, help me, Helen I’m dying and her last words was the speckled band, the speckled band.

That’s how my sister dies. I thought for a minute then I said can we look at these rooms. We went to Helens house right in the morning. When we arrived Helen showed us the bedrooms. We saw her room first. We went next to Julia’s room next. I asked why the bell rope is over the bed. Helen said her step dad but that bell rope there two years ago but the only problem was that we had any servants. I asked why is the air vent inside they are usually outside the walls. How strange said Watson. Next we went to Dr. Roylott’s room. I saw a large metal box and I asked what he keeps her. He keeps business papers in there, said Helen. Does he keep cats to here because of the milk that was on top.

I think your live is in danger miss Helen. Tonight I and my friend Watson will have to spend the night in your sister’s room, where you are sleeping now. We will take a room in a hotel near by. When your stepfather will go to bed you turn on the light in your sister room in the window and leave it open. Then you will go too your old room and we will get in to the window of your sisters room. Then Helen asked me if I knew how her sister died. I told her that I had to be sure before I tell you.

When Watson and I saw the light we came quietly in through the window. Then we waited I sad in the bed. Then I heard a sound from Dr. Roylott’s room. Then few minute minutes later I heard another sound but this was a very quiet sound. I jumped up and hit the bell-rope very hard. Can you see it Watson? He shouted. But he didn’t se anything. Then we both looked up and heard a terrible scream. When they came in to Dr. Roylott’s room they saw the metal box was open. Round his neck was a strange, yellow speckled band. He was dead. Be careful I said to Watson. It’s a snake, an Indian snake. We must try to put the snake in to the metal box. I took the snake and toss it into the metal box.

How did you figure it out about with the snake? I thought maybe something came through the air-vent and down the bell-rope and on the bed. That was milk on the metal box, he didn’t have cat and of course snakes drinks milk. The sound of metal falling was when he closed the box and nobody couldn’t see the snake so every night he whistled it back. The snake came through the air-vent maybe many times before it killed Julia but in the end it killed her. Tonight I hit the snake and it got very angry and killed
Dr. Roylott. Few weeks later Helen got married to her young man and forgot the terrible deaths of her sister but she never ever forgot the speckled band!
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Ghandi