Æi.. vissi ekki hvert þetta átti að fara.. grein, hjálparkork eða bara hingað.. flipped a coin and lost it..

en allvega… nokkru góð XP Tweak ráð :)

**NOTE**IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONES COMPUTER ISSUES THAT MAY ARISE FROM MY TWEAK GUIDE**

**DO NOT DELETE OR ALTER ANYTHING BUT WHAT I TELL YOU TOO!!! THE REGISTRY IS VERY FICKLE AND CAN EASILY MESS UP ANYONES COMPUTER!!!**

Tweak 1- Removing Restore Points on your Hard Drive

XP creates things called “Restore Points” that help restore the information should your computer crash. Unfortunatly, this little thing tends to create many unnecessary restore points and keep them on file. This can add up to gigabytes worth of hard drive. You can delete all the restore points up to the most recent ones though by going to Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup. Under the system restore section, click cleanup and everything will be deleted up to the most recent point.

Tweak 2- How to startup quickly

A lot of programs you install on your computer will put a tray icon in your system tray. What this does is loads the program every time you start your computer. This is why some computers take awhile to boot up even though they are “awsome”. To fix this, you can go to Start->Run->Type: msconfig ::enter:: This will bring up the System Configuration Utility box. Click on the Startup tab. Every item listed that has a check next to it starts up every time your computer starts. You can disable them all by clicking the check or disable all button. I kept a few active, like pop-up stopper, Powerstrip, and PCBooster. This is always a good tweak. Be sure to check it every time you install a program though.

Tweak 3- How to Shutdown Quickly

You can also dramatically decrease the amount of time is takes to shutdown your computer. To do this, you need to edit your registry. Go to Start->Run->Type: regedit ::enter:: This will bring up your Registry. In your registry, tree out your navigator to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
When you get there, you will see something labeled “HungAppTimeout”. This value should be set to 5000 as default. In this same folder, look for the “WaitToKillAppTimeout” setting. Right click on
“WaitToKillAppTimeout” and click edit string. The value data should be 20000 as default. Set this to 4000. Now navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet
\Control\ folder and find “WaitToKillServiceTimeout” and change its value to 4000.

Tweak 4- Menu Lag

A very minor tweak, but nonetheless a tweak :). Open your registry again and navigate to the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop. The change the value of the “MenuShowDelay” to 0. **YOU MUST REBOOT FOR THIS TO TAKE EFFECT**

Tweak 5- The Mystical Prefetcher

I was always amazed by this until I learned it actually existed. Windows has a built in service called a Prefetcher which fetches programs frequently used by the user more than others. The tweak is though, improving its performance. Open your registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
In there you will find something called “EnablePrefetcher”. The default value data should be set to 3, but I recommend around 5-6.

Tweak 6- Another Shutdown Tweak

This will automatically close programs when you shutdown your computer instead of recieving that nasty little message saying a program is still running. Open your registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop and find “AutoEndTasks”. Set this value to 1 and woohoo, your done. Easy tweak.

Tweak 7-12
Tweak 7- Hibernation

I hate hibernation…I would leave my computer and it would be hibernating and I would curse myself for not just shutting down the computer because the performance would just suck. This happens because windows reserves an amount of hard drive space that is equivelant to your RAM for it to hibernate. Disabling this is easy, just go Start->Settings->Control Panel->Power Options->click on the Hibernate tab. In the little check box that says Enable hibernation next to it, just uncheck it and problem solved.

Tweak 8- Multi-Memory Performance Tweaking Section

**ALL MEMORY TWEAKS LOCATED IN REGISTRY IN “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM
CurrentControlSetControlSession

ManagerMemory Management FOLDER**
People who do these 2 tweaks must have at minimum 256 mb of ram, otherwise its pretty much useless.

#1- ”DisablePagingExecutive“

This tweak disables XP from blocking your RAM off into segments to store information. We want to disable this to improve performance. All you do is change this files value from 0 to 1.

#2- ”LargeSystemCache“

What this tweak does is strap everything but 4mb of system memory to the system cache. This will greatly improve it's speed. This tweak is very good, but in some very demanding programs such as 3d graphics rendering programs or graphic intense games performance can be degraded. I wouldnt worry though, I have never noticed. To do this all you do is change the key value to 1 from 0.

Tweak 9- Want 20 percent more Bandwidth?

Got your attention? Listen to this one, cause your gonna love me for it. Unfortunatly this is for PRO users only, because Home did not come with the GPEDIT.MSC ability. Regardless, XP sets aside 20 percent of your bandwidth for QoS applications, which no one ever uses. To rectify this, go to Start->Run-> Type: Gpedit.msc ::enter::
Navigate to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Network->QoS Packet Scheduler. Now double click ”Limit Reserve Bandwidth“ and set it to ”Enabled“ AND set the Bandwidth Limit to 0 percent. Hooray! 20 percent more bandwidth!

Tweak 10-A Tweak My Grandma Can Do

This tweak my Grandmother can do. She can't even find her mouse 75 percent of the time on the computer either. This is the easiest tweak that helps the most. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to open up your Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. This will list and process running at that time. Run any program you want, find its process, and right click on it. Go to the Set Priority option and set its priority. So if you were running Counter-Strike, right click on its process, go to Set Priority, then click high. This tells the computer to pretty much ”Pay more attention and attend to this program“ more than others. Dont go prioritize crazy though, I only recommend 2 high prioritys at a time…

Tweak 11- The Final Tweak…Yet Amazingly Helpful

This tweak shouldn't be ignored, since it will improve performance all across the board. The computer will assign whats called an IRQ number to the main components of your computer(i.e.-graphics card, processor, etc). Im going to tell you how to prioritize these. There are two parts, figuring out which component you want to prioritize, and prioritizing it.

To find out what component you want to give more performance to open up your control panel and open the System panel. Click the Hardware tab, then on Device Manager. Right click on the component you want to know the IRQ of by going to its properties.(I suggest starting out by branching out the System Devices and choosing the ”System CMOS/real time clock" since it will do the most) When in properties, click on the resources tab and the IRQ number should be blatently obvious. (Some devices don't have IRQ numbers, sorry, your outta luck there. :) You just have to go on searching for one with an IRQ). Write down the IRQ and close everything. Open up your registry again and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlPriorityControl.

In this folder, right click and create a new DWORD value called IRQ(insert IRQ number here without parenthesis)Priority So it should be named like IRQ08Priority. Set the data to 1. Restart your computer and the changes will take effect. The CMOS is the best tweak for sure, and is a sure fire bet, so I recommend it. Also, be sure not to do more than 3 of these!!! Any more than 3 can cause computer instability.

Tweak 12- Performance Downloads

I recommend downloading these programs to upgrade performance:

BootVis - Great program that helps boot your computer up amazing fast.

PowerStrip - You can't go wrong with this program, it lets you tweak your graphics card in every way your card was enabled to be tweaked. Meaning you can do stuff your driver doesn't even give you the option to do.

PCBooster - Just the ability to recover ram manully from thsi program is awsome, but recovering it at a certain resource point?!??!
Well worth the download just for that.

And These programs can be useful as well:

hdspeed

RegCleaner

Cacheman

-Conclusion-

Well, after many forum chit-chats and much reading I figured out some useful tweaks for XP. I thought that sharing them with the comunity would be helpful since pretty much everyone is looking for better performance. So I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I have. I just don't want to hear people moaning and groaning though that it's a hack, cause if you do im gonna pimp slap ya!

Sources:
www.tweaktown.com
www.tweakxp.com

-SmokeyMcPot
——————-

tekið héðan :)

http://www.sogamed.com/features.php?id=42&page=2<br><br>
[.evil.]Topaz
|Topaz
———–
&#9827;(>^+^)>&#9794;