Jájá, þetta er ritgerð sem ég gerði fyrir langalöngu fyrir Ensku 303 um bókina The Lovely Bones eftir Alive Seabold og þar sem ég var að uppgötva þetta áhugamál og mér sjálfum og öðrum til mikilla gleði ætla ég að birta þessi skrif mín hér, svona 2 ára gamalt held ég…minnir samt að ég hafi ekki fengið neitt sérstaka einkunn fyrir þetta en skiptir engu…

The Lovely Bones

The lovely bones is written by Alice Seabold in 2002. You may never have read any book similar, the story teller is the main character in the book telling about her and her family. She’s in heaven and is saying what she sees.

The book starts by the tragic that Susie Salmon is killed and raped by her neighbour, he raped her, killed, cut in pieces and put the body parts in a safe which he then dumped down some dump hole. So that description is not for the weak of heart, I’m not one of them but still this part of the story, about her death still hunts me.
That’s how the story starts, she’s telling us
how she died so Susie herself is the story teller.
She’s in heaven and always watching her family and friends,
Watching them growing up, watching them becoming something she will never be, looking at them with envy and thinking how she really misses beeing with them, down on earth.
The book is really about how Susie’s death
effects her family and friends, how different people take her death, in the family or not. Everyone she knowed grief her, of course but some more then others, her mother f.x, Abigail Salmon took this really bad, she started becoming lonely and talked little to people, even started cheating and going away from her family to try run away from this event, forgetting all about it.
In heaven Susie is also, always hoping that they find her killer, Mr. Harvey guilty but alway when the police dropped by him he’s so clever and good actor that they even took him off his suspicion list, although a murderer and child molestor he’s a professional, know exactly what to do and how to be so hes evil deeds will not be found, this is even not his first time. He killed a couple of other girls. This man, as evil he is, it surprise that he actually make doll houses for companyes.
In the begining in the story Susie is always hoping for they catch Mr. Harvey and get enough evidence but near the end, the table has turned, there she just want her family to keep living their lives and not worrying about Mr. Harvey, she begins to care less if Mr. Harvey is caught or not.
She stops thinking about Mr. Harvey but she can’t stop thinking about Ray, a boy in school who had a crush on her and she on him, they almost kissed before her death and she misses it so much and she gets a change. Ray and Ruth go and seek this sink hole and trying finding something, there Ruth sees Susie and somehow they switched bodyes so Ruth went to heaven, there Ruth was chaired, was a celebrity in heaven because she sees some kinda visions on how people died.
Susie realizes that this will only last for a short time, she’s inside Ruth’s body and she uses it, uses Ruth body to do something she had wanted to do for a long time, she went with Ray, he didn’t know what was going on until she explained to him that it was Susie. They had long and hot orgy. They did it all night long until after the night that Susie and Ruth exchanged bodyes again. As one can imagine that was then pretty awkward moment for them two. Ray and Ruth, who didn’t really know what had happened.
This was really the most of the plot of the story, even too much of it maybe. The last news of Mr. Harvey was the he died under an icicle which fell on him, mother nature at work. As for Abigal, the mother, she came back and together they moved on, so the book had an beutiful ending.

The end surpised me, I had waited all the book to see the cop catching Mr. Harvey and then he never was caught but he died instead. I don’t even know if I thought it would be better if he had been caught, this still tells me that the author is saying that, no matter what happens, tragedy, death of a loved one or anything bad you still have to move on, live goes on. Not be in grief for the rest of your live, better is to go out and see people instead and maybe get help to get over your grief then live each day in misery. Still it was hard for me reading this where often one character in a book i chose automatically someone I know for that part and Susie was there one of them. I even got so into this book that I began getting sad and was thinking about in what clothes I should wear in the funeral but then It struck me, wow, this is just a book, calm down. But still the end was really good, at least I would never have guessed how the book ended.

CHARACTERS:

Lindsey Salmon
She is Susie’s sister. Her, Buckey and Susie’s parents are Abigail Salmon and Jack Salmon.
She is very intelligent, has a strong personality and wants to be a psychologist. She’s a blonde and is engaged to Samuel. Near the end of the book she also wore her and Jack’s baby, which they gave the name Abigail Suzanne.

Abigail Salmon
She’s the mother and is a typical housewife who likes cooking and is extremely beautiful too. After Susie’s death she completely falls to pieces and shortly she leaves her family to find herself, trying to forget all about it, her family and such, she had in love affair with Len, the cop some time before she left. The reason for her departure was also that she found everything in her hometown remind her of Susie and that just crushed her.

Susie Salmon
Susie is the main character in the story, she’s the story teller.
She’s very smart and lonely girl, who died young by the hands of her neighbor Mr. Harvey who then chopped her in pieces and throw away her body parts in a safe down a sinkhole. She has a crush on Ray and always wishes she had gone further with him before her death ,which she gets one change for. She has one good friend in heaven called Holly, also her dog who Mr. Harvey also killed.

Jack Salmon
The father ,he’s tall and with blue eyes. He’s very calm guy but gets really angry and sad of his daughter, Susie’s death. He always strongly suspects Mr. Harvey of the killing. He builds ships in bottles and never get’s really over Susie’s death but he still tryes, keeps with his family and knows that life goes on, unlike he’s wife. He still loves his wife and all his children, living and dead.

Ray Singh
He was an Indian from England and was in love with Susie. Wrote her love letters in class one time, after Susie’s death he became friend with Ruth. He was suspected first of killing Susie. He’s dad is a doctor and he’s mother just a housewife and really beautiful one. He has dark skin and beutiful eyes.
Had once sex with Susie in Ruth’s body.

Ruth Connors
She’s a very clever girl and also extremely good at drawing, better then most of the teachers in school. She’s a lesbian and writes alot in her journal. She sees dead people and is because of that famous in heaven, she saw Susie once, before the exchanged bodyes. Moved at last to New York.
————–