Þetta er tekið af annari síðu. Áhugavert viðtal við mann sem vinnur við hljóðið á myndunum:

me: so I take it you're a Tolkien fan?
him: well i wasnt at first but if i told u my job u wouldnt believe me
me: so make me believe you
him: ive been in New Zealand lately for about the last 6 months
me: AHHHHHHHHHHH you've got to be kidding me. I'm so jealous. areyou on production staff or something?
him: im an asst sound effects editor on the films we just cut the new trailer
me: I'm dumbfounded. The trailer for The Two Towers, or another for Fellowship?
him: right now weve only released trailers for THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING we wont release the trailers for THE TWO TOWERS until next year although Peter Jackson is thinking of tacking a TWO TOWERS teaser at the end of the FELLOWSHIP
me: you're kidding me. so why the long wait between release dates?
him: because we have an extensive post production period each film willrun around 3 hrs and we have to add CGI and sound sound effects, dialogue looping stuff like that it takes a while
me: each film is 3 hours? that's crazy. I was HOPING for two hours. How happy am I?! So can I ask you which story lines they've cut out? I hear Tom Bombadil isn't going to happen.
him: well i cant elaborate on who appears and doesnt but i will tell u that it is EXTREMELY close to the book with some parts enlarged or shortened
me: neat. you have the coolest job in the world. so I guess you have no worries about keeping it for at least another 2.5 years, huh?
him: yeah thats my job for now
me: are you from NZ originally?
him: no im from LA i work for Digital Domain when my specific crew was nominated for Academy Awards for THE PERFECT STORM Peter Jackson called us in to take a look and see what we could do with the films he has beeen very pleased
me: you could not impress me more, you know . So what do you think of NZ? I've been enamoured with the kiwis ever since Xena
him: well i thought it was beautiful there and the people r so nice its pretty amazing where we shot considering it looks medeival but most of our locations were right next to busy streets or cities
me: so how did you land such a fun job?
him: my uncle works for Digital Domain got me the job there first film i worked on was SLEEPY HOLLOW
me: I'm sure that we uninformed masses have no idea how much work goes into sound. 3 years sounds a bit much, though…
him: its a lot and on this film only 2% of the actual sound recored during production was usable
me: why is that? insect sounds and traffic and so on?
him: yeah but the microphones were crappy also and a lot of background noise
me: so all the actors have to reread their lines in sync with the film, and you get to match the two up?
him: exactly dialogue looping
me: that sounds grueling
him: it is but its also fun u get to meet the actors
me: so you got to meet everyone? crazy. I bet that's fun.
him: depends which unit im assigned to and if their characters r involved
me: so, after working on all this, have you decided to read the books yet?
him: well when we signed onto the LOTR project i decided to read the books best boks i ever read
me: tell me about it. I read ‘em every year. best fantasy out there period, and my personal favorite fiction. I’m glad you got turned on to them .
him: yeah ive read em twice
me: I'm still ahead of you
him: ill catch up
me: I hope you will. So describe a typical work day to me.
him: go to the studio maybe 6 am confer with actors record try to match dialogue to screen adjust pitch length usually there til 9 or 10
me: what's pitch length?
him: pitch —> how high or low the voice is to match it to the screen length —-> talking too fast or slow
me: right, I know what pitch is… so you speed or slow down the voiceovers to fit the mouth on film and then adjust the pitch so it still sounds like the actors' voices?
him: well we prefer the actors to get it right but sometimes we toy around with it
me: you must have some really neat software
him: the latest
me: your job sounds like heaven, *******
him: sometimes not all depends on what kind of picture and the director
me: I'm sure, but I mean this job in particular, with LoTR. I'm so obsessed with these books, I couldn't imagine a neater job.
him: its pretty cool overall
me: I think I'm just jealous that you get to see the movie before I do
him: yeah its gonna knock a few socks off i think its Oscar material
me: honestly? I mean, I've been looking forward to it because I enjoy the story so much, but I've kind of kept my enthusiasm in check because I didn't think they could do justice to Tolkien. You really think they're well-done, objectively speaking?
him: i think its about as close as u can get to Tolkien and thats saying a lot!!!
me: that's saying a ton. careful, or you're going to get my hopes up too high
me: I'm really looking forward to Gollum and the Nazgul
him: Gollum is a sight to behold
me: I can't wait… I read a while ago Tolkien's critique of several fantasy artists' renditions of Gollum and how he didn't like them because Gollum was too monster-like. If anything, Tolkien intended him to be a shrivelled, gnarled version of a hobbit.
me: I'm excited to see what the movies come up with.
me: I also realized in some internet pics that the hobbits are made smaller than the men, which rocks. I'm glad Jackson seems to be a stickler for details.
him: yeah he is and the cool part is the CGI on this film is unbelievably realistic
me: you are going to give me a heart attack, my friend. I can't wait to tell my sister – I'm going to be home for Christmas when it comes out, and we're planning on seeing it together. She'll be thrilled.
him: buyyour tickets in advance
me: definitely
me: I'm happy you're so proud of it. It gives me higher expectations. So is your work load pretty heavy?
him: depends on the day and what is scheduled we also have to add the score next month
me: I couldn't imagine how painstaking your job is. Does it take a lot of training to know how to do all of this? Did you go to school for it?
him: nope just learned in studio
me: so, when adding the score, who decides when the music swells and ebbs, which piece to put where, etc?
him: Howard Shore is writing the score Peter Jackson tells him what mood and then he does the rest
me: and when you add the score to the film, who decides the volume of the music, fading in and out, silent portions, etc?
him: he decides all that we just place it into the film
me: shore does or jackson does?
him: shore
me: so he's having to write like 9 hours of instrumentation?
him: right now the focus is on the first film if u watch the 2nd teaser trailer u can hear the theme to the films
me: I have seen it many a time . here's a question you may be able to answer without breaking any secrecy agreements: does everyone in the film speak with a british accent?
him: most not all
me: weird.
me: are you tiring of this? I'm sorry to keep talking about the film, but it's something I've been looking forward to for so long… we can talk about something else if you like, though
him: depends certain characters such as elves will talk differently than the hoobits
him: no its cool
me: wow, even down to that detail. amazing. and gimli speaks differently than the men and the elves?
him: each “race” will have distinctive characterization
me: neat. the only thing I've seen that I haven't been thrilled about is the elves and how they're not taller than the men. I was surprised that the hobbits were made the correct height but the elves weren't.
him: the elves and the men share the same height status i guess not a big deal though
me: not a bit deal.
me: so can I ask you your favorite part, or will that violate some agreement? as for me, I think I'm looking forward to the showdown between gandalf and saruman, and the ents.
him: the mines of moria and the breaking of the fellowship when u see the Argonath
me: oh, yeah, the balrog. he's the coolest bad guy of them all. I bet a lot of CGI work went into that.
him: yep and he looks totally real
me: did the graphics people go off of Howe, Lee, and other fantasy artists' renditions, or did they try to come up with entirely new depictions of the characters?
him: well Howe and Lee are conceptual artists on the films so they worked off both
me: howe and lee actually worked on the film?
him: yep
me: *******, you are going to kill me. I'm so excited.
him: its cool
me: well, you have definitely made my night, maybe even my week. thanks so much for putting up with a silly over-enthusiastic girl
him: its cool too bad u r not in LA i could take u to the studio for a tour
me: I would PAY you .
me: so you're allowed to talk about accents, heights, and balrogs, but nothing else, right ?
him: just little things and not into too muchdetail
me: that's a lot of gray area. what do they do to you if they find out you've divulged too much? sue you?
me: take your firstborn?
him: suspend me from the project
me: how many people work with you in sound?
him: theres different departments in sound mine has about 15-20
me: what are the different departments?
him: sound, sound effects, effects editing, scoring, looping
me: and you're in effects?
me: or looping?
him: sound just the overall sound
me: is there more than one assistant sound effects editor?
him: yeah
him: but im the only one for my department
me: so you come in at around 6, sit down at the computer, and fit the sound to the film? what digital format is the film in?
him: the film is shot in Panavision using the 2.35:1 aspect ratio
me: what format of film does your software edit? (I don't really know what I'm talking about, so sorry for the incorrect jargon.) Like, is it mpeg or avi or something?
him: that i dont have a clue about
me: what is the set up? how does the computer get the film?
him: thats done in film processing we just access it through the files i have no clue what they do there
me: ok, gotcha. I can't imagine how detailed the whole post-filming process is. do you know how many people total work on the film, minus the actors?
him: on this one maybe 250 or so
me: is that normal?
him: a little above normal is 150-200 but we have a $290 million trilogy here its cheaper this way
him: hey i g2g now
me: ok, well thank you soooo much for humoring me for so long. I'm Amber, by the way, and I'm in your debt.
him: no prob im ***** nice to meet u and lok for me in the credits
me: I definitely will, *****. You're a sweetheart. Have a good night.
him: u too bye bye