At this, the cloaked man stood up and began leaving the table. As he did, he stopped momentarily at the bar to talk to the barkeep after which he gives him a small pouch of coins. Turning to the group one last time, the man hobbled over to the table once more.

“I wish you well and may the gods be with you on your journies. I have taken the honor of covering your first night here at the Inn. See if it meets your liking. If not, there are other Inns in town, one of which is marked on the map I have given you. We may meet again sometime, I cannot promise such but know that I am always watching you…again, good luck!”

With these last words, the man exited the tavern. As the door closed behind him, a short, bright flash of light was seen through the cracks in the inn's doorframe, seemingly only noticed by the six adventurers still seated around the table in the corner of the room.

“A strange fellow,” Talant said and smiled. “So, what do you others think? Will you take up arms with us Clovis here?”

Smiling sheepishly at the waitress Darius whispered, “Two orders of the vegetables soup and one order of the taters and beef, thanks.”

“I have traveled far to find a cause to believe in, maybe helping to defeat the evil in Phlan is the cause I have searching for, you can count on me,” Darius said to the group. “I believe that splitting up tomorrow and looking for the ‘magic shop’ is a good idea, I would probably be better exploring the civilized area, I have a talent for finding places that want to stay hidden.”

“Great! I can go down to the town council. I really don´t need anything from the magic shop anyway,” Talant answered.

As Arius listened the man who summoned him here explain the reason behind the summoning he brows in deep thought. “Well, I am going to need to purchase a healers kit, though I think I could get that at my church for free, as for the platinum for other days night here I doubt that I could afford that, that is unless we happen upon a great amount of treasure, 10 gold pieces a night should be a luxury room, at least I think it should be that way.”

The waitress nodded and quickly left to get Dar's meal. Not two minutes later she returned with the bowls of soup and a plate of steaming potatoes and sausage, placing them in front of the halfling she said, “That will be 2 silver and 2 copper please.” Dar gave her the proper coins and she left again.

Clovis smiled at Talant, “Thank you for the complement my friend, I also have little need to visit a magic shop. I would like to join you at the city council.”

He watched the hooded man leave the common room. His eyebrows wrinkled a little as he notices the flash of light beyond the closed door.

He turned back to Talant.

“I doubt that any bureaucrat would be up at this hour, perhaps we should visit them in the morning after a good nights rest?”

Clovis mooned for the waitress. “My pardons good lady, I was absorbed in our conversation and failed to place my order. May I have a plate of those stewed vegetables and a mug of something a little stronger than cider please?”

“I agree, its probably too late now,” Talant answered.

Talant listened as Clovis placed his order and waited patiently for his turn, he then ordered the nights special.

“Well, people, we really should try and see if we can agree upon a leader. although this should be a party where everybody has a voice; if you catch my drift; we ought to have a leader. Some one person that has a final ruling in matters that we disagree upon. What do you say?”

Talant looked over the table at Clovis.

Clovis nodded his head in agreement with Talant.

“Yes, it would make sense to have someone in charge.”

He looked about the table then back to Talant. He smiled and raised his mug.

“You have my vote Talant.”

“Thanks, but I hardly qualify as ´leader-material´. I came here to fight evil. What about yourself? You seem as one pure of heart and good alignmented. I trust that one as spiritually guided as you are could lead us,” Talant said and got all red in the face.

Talant looked around at the others to see their responses.
“What do you think? Wouldn´t Clovis be the right man for the job?”

“I think Clovis would make a good leader, he has my vote. I will take a private room, at least for tonight. I will meet you in the morning, right after sunrise,” said Darius.

After listening to the conversations of the soon-to-be group, Arius got up and began to walk out the door. “I am heading to my temple for my daily prayers, and a healers kit, I welcome anyone who would like to join me.”

Clovis shook his head negatively,

“I thank you for the vote of confidence, but I am only a humble Cleric from a small church. I have no experience as a leader. I think you would be a better leader Talant. But if everyone insists, then I will give it my best try.”

He stood up and stretched, he couldn’t hold back a yawn.

“Excuse me friends but I had a long walk here and I am extremely tired. Friend Arius I think I shall wait till tomorrow to visit the Temple of Tyr. May Tyr watch over all of you till dawn breaks the nights fast.”

Obviously showing signs of fatigue from his long journey, Clovis retires for the evening, stopping first to talk to the barkeep to inquire him about the town council and asking him to wake him up at first light.

“Town council y'say? I reckon it opens ‘same time as the rest ’o the town's services. I know one of the council members is always up early - i'd imagine he opens the doors at first light… Cadorna's his name. Son of one of Phlan's elders who's no longer alive. Takin ‘vantage of his ancestor’s name as far as I can see, but he's still new here and tryin to prove himself worthy on the council.”

“First light it is then. I'll send up Kila to wake ye.”

Kol the gnome had been silent through most of the exchanges. Before the others retired he added his thoughts on leadership. “Neither a leader nor follower will I be. I would rather my death be my own fault, not because I am following orders like some goblin cuffed behind the ear by a bugbear. I’ll help, I’ll follow some leadership, but don’t expect me to be a silent servant.”

To the serving maid Kol requested, “A broth and ale, my girl.”

Again to the others he said, “I’ll take a private room. No offence, but I don’t like people snoring. Anyway, mages need their privacy, or so I have heard.”

After he had eaten he headed to the room that had been given to him.

Talant stood up, stretched and yawned.

“Well, its time for bed. I bid you all good nights rest and light filled dreams.”

Talant then walked to the barkeep and got the key for his room.

“Please, kind lord, could arrange that my belongings are transported from the Laughing Gnome inn to me in the morning?”

Talant pointed out on the map where the Laughing Gnome inn was, right north of the Temple of Azuth. He smiled and gave the barkeep three silvers in advance and said:

“For good service. I would like that someone would wake me up at sunrise, I also have some divine duties that I need to perform. It doesn’t take long, but when I am back could you be so kind to have four eggs, bread, butter and fresh milk ready for me, kind lord?”

Talant listened to the barkeeps answer and then headed off for bed. He locked the window and the door, though unsure what thieves would steal from him.

What a day, Talant thought. Met a lot of interesting people and it seems that I will not be alone on my quest against evil, praise Mielikki. Slowly Talants eyelids became heavier and heavier and he fell asleep after an eventful day.