…Lucas already busted me on laserdisc; I have 4 copies of Star Wards. Based on that experience, here's my prediction for the actual, top secret, rape-the-fans schedule:

October 16, 2001: Ep. 1, 6 hours of additional footage, some removed footage. Dolby Digital sound only (Yes, that's for real, check the link)

February 10th, 2002: “Special Edition” Ep. 1, same 6 hours of additional footage, 2 more missing scenes, addition of DTS sound. Buy another copy if you've got a good sound system.

May 30, 2002: “The ultimate edition” Ep. 1, new superior video transfer, director's commentary, Dolby digital and DTS sound. Missing the 6 hours of extra footage and extra scenes.

September 15, 2002: “Director's cut” Ep. 1, back to the old video transfer, same running length but a few scenes switched around, commentary from Lucas and several actors.

January 6, 2003: “Collector's Edition” Ep.1, Dolby Digital, DTS, 6 hours of extra footage, commentary, includes scripts, concept drawings, and other production notes.

Me, I'm just gonna wait until Jan 6, 2003.