i tilefni umræðunnar um að hinir frábærur kappar í Kult Ov Azazel sé líklega, óstaðfest samt, að koma á klakann í desember eða byrjun 2008 þá langaði mig að bomba inn einu gömlu viðtali sem félagi minn tók við Xaphan

Hails Xaphan

To start give me a brief history of the band, and its members.

Kult ov Azazel formed in April of 1999 under the infernal banner of Azazel. This consisted of myself on guitar/vocals, Xul on vocals/bass and Von on drums. Under this name and lineup we recorded and released “Order of the Fly”. Before the mCD was released Von was booted out and Hellspawn took over drum duties. Later in 2000 and with this lineup we recorded and released the material on the split CD with Krieg (USA). That spring and one year after our formation we changed the band name to Kult ov Azazel and signed a 4 album deal with Arctic Music, we also at this time dismissed Hellspawn from the band. March 2001 we released our first full length “Triumph of Fire” with Vetis as a session drummer on that release. In 2003 we launched our second blasphemy through Arctic Music titled “Oculus Infernum” which is the first time we have recorded with a full permanent lineup which now consists of myself (vocals/guitar), Xul (vocals/ bass), Nocturath (guitar/backing vocals) and The Hammer (drums).

What influences your KoA music and lyrics the most?

Our hate towards monotheism and our disdain for humans mixed with satanic ideology.

What three bands would you say have influenced KoA the most?

Hard to say since as a whole it is now a collective band and we all have various influences and inspirations. For me the three are Venom, Destruction and Darkthrone.

Does KoA have any high goals or much planned for the future?

There are no high goals or any thing such as that. This band and I have said this repeatedly in interviews is our means of spreading satanic and nihilistic ideals through musical violence. It is just that simple. There are also many things planned for the future. First thing that comes to mind is the split 7” we will be doing with Krieg. We just have to lay down the vocals for one song and it is complete. This will include a new track and a Sodom cover. We were going to record a new album titled “The World, The Flesh & The Devil” this year but have decided to instead write more songs for it and have put that off until next year. Last but not least, we are definitely doing some touring towards the end of the year. The only thing is it’s uncertain if it will be the west coast of America or some Europe dates. It all depends on the dates and schedule arrangements but one or the other I have been told is happening.

Would you say the band has evolved much since the beginning?

I would be lying if I said no. Progression is natural and if over the years we hadn’t evolved then I would seriously be wondering if anyone ever practiced their instrument outside the band.

How would you describe each record of yours, what is the diffrence between them?

“Order of the Fly” had its own style/vibe to it yet and wasn’t fully developed. The tracks of the split w/ Krieg had faster material and the songwriting begins to get better. “Triumph of Fire” was very harsh and barbaric, our first approach at using guitar harmonies in the songs and ended up being an attack of blistering black metal. And “Oculus Infernum” is a album of cold, dark, vicious black metal, the way this band should have sounded years ago.

Oculus Infernum is very, very agressive. Its one of the most agressive records I have heard, I liked it from the first time I heard it. Incredible full frontal satanic attack from the first second to the last! Wouldnt you agree?

Of course I do. It is the best material we have written or recorded in my opinion.

Are you going to be even more agressive (if possible?) on your upcoming release?

It's not something we are going to try to do, if it comes out more aggressive than so be it. We don't go into the writing process trying to outdo ourselves. Just what comes out and is put to recording is all from within and natural, not false and forced.

How are sales for KoA releases going, do you send stuff to asia and afrika or just usa and europe?

I can’t even comment because it’s not something I keep track of. I don’t worry about numbers or sales, it’s not a concern of mine. These are not factors that drive me to create, nor do we do this because of money. I know our label has distribution in the USA and Europe, as well as other territories but I highly doubt they have distribution in either Africa or Asia. We have though released a few older recordings in Asia through various labels, the last one being “Black Mass Consecration” through Inquisition Musik out of Malaysia.

Wouldnt you say KoA has a large fanbase, the band seems to be getting attention all around the world (even in iceland)!?

This is something else I would be unaware of. I know that we are known internationally and are recognized by many outside the USA but that is about all I know.

KoA seems to be in good connection with other US blackmetal bands. You for instance did a very good split with Krieg. Do blackmetal bands in the US intentionally decide to have good connections with each other, or do you perhaps have something like “The Black circle” that Norwegian bands had in their prime?

In the past I was in contact more with various bands from here but over time these contacts have dwindled down to a very few. I do remain in contact with Krieg as well as a few others but for the most part I have found that allying ones band with another can cause unneeded drama. Not that this has been something of experience for us just what I have observed over the years. Moreover, every year I get older I become more and more of a recluse. However, there are connections between bands here, but for the most part I think many bands keep to themselves or stay to a small circle of comrades because of the backstabbing and the shit slinging drama that is common among any scene. As for a “black circle” of sorts, there’s no such thing like that here.

What do you think of church burnings and all the things that happened in Norway many years ago?

Can’t really comment since I was not there. For black metal, it was the spark that reignited the passion for metal that once again embraced evil and Satanism. After many of the “satanic” bands of the 80’s fell to the wayside metal became more about death, cannibalism, you know the typical death metal lyrics, or became party/drinking metal, which most old satanic thrash turned into and metal became less and less about the occult. The actions in Norway changed all this and for that I am grateful. There was also a much different mystique about black metal back then. Regardless, this is all in the past and what is in the past is in the past, it’s not something I think about much.

Are there any gigs that stand out, any highlights of all the gigs KoA has done?

Up until this point in time, the one gig that stands out from all the others was the Sacrifice of the Nazarene Child festival back in 2001. It was great to play an all black metal fest not to mention we shared the stage with the best of the best when it comes to black metal bands from the United States.

It would appear that you, Xaphan, do most things in the band, handle all the “press” and more. Do you enjoy it or is it some thing that bothers your but has to be done?

I fucking hate it!!! Yet it is something that has to be done, if I don’t do it no one else will.

KoA runs a efficient website with lots of info. I must applaud you for this.

Thanks for the comments. We try to make the site as informative as possible and since I do the majority of the press, also create and maintain the website it makes it easy to do this.

Are all members of KoA satanist and do they/you take it very seriously?

Out of all of us, I am the only one that embraces the label Satanist. The others would most likely use the term antichristian when referencing themselves. But yes, I take it seriously, those that know me and are close to me know how serious I am about it. Satanism is my life, Baphomet my guide.

What do KoA members do when their not working on the band?

Xul is a network engineer, Hammer is a drum tech, Nocturath does graphic design and I am a live sound engineer.

What is your favorite book and what book did you read most recently?

I don’t have a particular favorite book as I like many different subjects mainly those that have ties to the occult. I also like true crime shit. Murder always makes for a good read. The last book I read was “Murder in Memphis” which was a true crime story about a murder that happened back in the 70’s in the city where I grew up. This guy had his wife killed by hiring some of his buddies to carry it out. His friends couldn’t bring themselves to kill her so they locked her in the trunk and parked her in the library parking lot where she baked inside in the summer heat. For weeks people walked past the car, parked beside it, observed it from apartment windows yet no one knew that someone had been left to die. A torturous death to say the least. Anyway, it was interesting to me since growing up many of the places in the book are places I had been many times, such as that library. It took place in my backyard so to say. Others might not find it so interesting.

What do you think of wars, death and destruction. I know I praise all wars outside of europe. And I think suicides filter out the weak and are a positive thing. What are your opinions in theese matters?

All are needed in the balance of nature and human progression. Peace breeds war, we are all born to die and what is built will always be torn down. It’s the continuous counterbalancing of opposing principals, the Ouroboros. Suicide on the other hand can be approached in two different ways. I agree that it weeds out the weak but this is only if it is committed out of self-pity or when one wishes to escape a difficult situation or obstacle that life throws to us. Yet when it is done because someone seriously hates life, or better yet life on this plane, e.g. one that has everything they could possibly want yet commits it to seek out other dimensions, the other side, than I wouldn’t quite call that weak. It does take some balls to off yourself, but in the end my opinion on suicide is it’s the reason for which it was committed that becomes the deciding factor for me if I consider it a weak act or not.

A little bit about Iceland. There are a very, very few blackmetal bands here. Now I must ask if you know anything about my country? Have your heard any icelandic music/metal?

I do not know very much about Iceland to be honest with you. Many may see this as “typical American stupidity” yet in my defense Iceland has never been a country I have been too and therefore I have never bothered to read up on its history or culture. Much like Africa, Asia and the Orient, not to lump Iceland in with those countries, but it just hasn’t been a country I have been to. I would like to visit there at some point in my and maybe one day we’ll eventually storm Iceland, I would not be opposed to that. As for bands, I know only of Afsprengi Satans.

Last words:

Quod est Inferius est sicut quod est Superius, et quod est Superius est sicut quod est Inferius.

Viðtal tekið af Gaua.
Born to Raise Hell