Championship Manager 4 Frequently Asked Questions
Last Revised 26th March 2003

Q0. I cant install the game?
A0. If you are running Windows 98 (and maybe Me, and if you try on 95) You may get an error when trying to install the game. The version of Windows Installer that shipped with your OS is old and wont work with our installer. In that case you'll need to download and install: <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F</a>
It simply updates windows installer from version 1 to version 2.
b) If autosetup does not work, go into my computer and click on the CD Drive and then setup.exe to install

Q1. I?m running Windows XP and I?m being asked to run scandisk and I can?t find it?
A1. Open My Computer, and then right click on the hard drive CM4 is installed on (usually C: ) Click on Properties and then on Tools in the box that pop?s up. Click on the top box ?Error Checking?

Q2. I?m getting an error when opening CM4 ?“Error:0x000D: Unable to open full screen mode”?
A2. There are a few ways to sort this out. Firstly make sure your colours are at True Colour (32 bit) and your screen is at least 1024 by 768 pixels.
(Right Click on the desktop, click properties, click settings..
Set Colours on the left to True Colour (32 Bit) and Screen Area to 1024 by 768 pixels)
If you can?t get to 1024 by 768 pixels then refer to question 6 about how to force it into 800 by 600 pixels.

Q3. I want to run the game in Windowed mode, but I can?t. Is there a way to force the game to run in a window?
A3. Firstly to run in a window you have to be in a screen resolution above 1024 by 768 (1152 by 864 is the next one up for example). Now you can try and run CM4 with the -windowed flag.
Click Start > Run > and in the box type in the location of CM4 ?
?c:\program files\cm4\cm4.exe' for example.
Now after cm4.exe add ?-windowed?. So what you end up putting in the run box is
?c:\program files\cm4\cm4.exe ?windowed?
This forces the game to run in a window.

Q4. I?m being asked for the version number of the driver for my NVIDIA graphics card - How do I find it?
A4. It?s a little bit complicated?
Right click anywhere on desktop > click properties > click settings > click Advanced..
In the top right of that new window it will tell you your card name “geforce 2 mx” (or whatever type of card it is). Click that name to go into the cards information tab..
At the bottom of this window you will see a driver and version; the version will be along the lines of 6.13.10.4109.

Q5. I?m running Windows XP and have a NVIDIA graphics card and I?m having problems with Windows changing the refresh rate?
A5. Windows XP has issues with changing screen resolutions for games if you use an NVIDIA graphics board. It is a common problem with win9x games, and even games that officially support 2000/XP, that they display at a 60Hz refresh rate when in full-screen mode. This is caused by the way Windows XP interacts with software when the software asks Windows what screen resolutions and refresh rates it can use. In win9x, Windows uses your desktop refresh rate settings for each resolution. But in XP, Windows does not send those settings to software – it expects software to choose an appropriate refresh rate on its own. Unfortunately, very few applications have their own refresh rate setting option, nor do they try to use the highest available; they just default to the first one Windows gives them, which is usually 60Hz. This problem is universal enough that I really think Windows XP should have a function to set the default refresh rates that it passes to software, but alas, it does not.
There are pieces of software that will get around this here - http://www.ntcompatible.com/faq332.shtml
On a side note, anybody not using latest NVIDIA graphics drivers should upgrade to the latest set from www.nvidia.com.

Q6. Can the resolution be changed to 800 by 600?
A6. .Yes, but the game is not designed to look like that. The minimum resolution is 1024 by 768. If you have to you need to, you can try this mode by using the following -
?c:\program files\cm4\cm4.exe -small_screen?
You can either create a shortcut to that or copy into the run box (Right click on the desktop > New > Shortcut > Enter it as the path). It goes without saying that if that is not where you have it installed change the path appropriately!

Q7. I have poor eyesight/my monitor is bad and I can?t see the ball on the 2D match screen, is there anything I can do?
A7. There is indeed! In your Game\Data folder there is a file called init.cfg. What you need to do first is right click this file and click properties, and uncheck the read only box so you can save your changes. Then you want to enter ?BIG_BALL? (Exactly as it is there, with the inverted commas). This makes the ball much bigger and should help you seeing it!

Q8. When I press "Continue? the game crashes back to the desktop?
A8. Your best bets are:
1. Get the latest patch for CM4.
2. Run Scandisk on the drive CM4 is installed on to check it out.
3. Update Windows from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
4. Get the latest drivers for your hardware from the manufacturer?s website.
We are always glad to help you in the sigames community message board (http://community.sigames.com), what you should do is run the Direct X diag tool.
Click Start > then run, and then type dxdiag into the box. I box will pop up and it will be busy doing stuff for a few seconds. After that is finished click “Save all information” ; post the contents of that file into your thread asking for help; and we can help you much quicker!

Q9. I have problems connecting to a network / Internet game under Windows XP?
A9. It is quite likely that the Built in Win XP firewall is enabled and thus blocking the port CM uses. To disable it follow these instructions:
– Go to the Setting section in the start menu
– Click Network Connections
– Right click on the Connection and click Properties
– Go to the advanced tab and un-tick the ?enable firewall?
A better option may be to open ports 6667 both TCP and UDP rather than to disable the firewall. You can add these ports by going to your Connection Properties –> under the tab ?Advanced? > click settings in the bottom-right hand corner and add CM twice - one for port 6667 TCP and then one for 6667 UDP. It?s much safer this way because you don?t run the risk of being hacked. If you still have problems, post a message in the cm forums with the contents of the net.out file (found in the CM directory) as well as the usual details.

Q10. Which is the Pre Game/Save-Game Editor to use for CM4?
A10. There no official or unofficial game editors for CM4.

Q11. I am having trouble downloading the patches. I keep getting cut-off and have to start downloading again.
A11. Use a Download Manager like GetRight. You can get it here: www.getright.com

Q12. Game freezes / stops when loading game / saving / end of season, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del it says: Not Responding?
A12. Wait longer - Not Responding doesn't mean that it has crashed; it just means the program is too busy to respond to Windows. If you leave it, it will eventually get past this; the processing at the end of the season can take especially long. If it does crash, you usually get an error message or it crashes back to the desktop.
If you are convinced its a problem then ask a question in the sigames community messageboard (http://community.sigames.com). To speed up the process what you should do is run the Direct X diag tool first.
Click Start > then run, and then type dxdiag into the box. I box will pop up and it will be busy doing stuff for a few seconds. After that is finished click “Save all information” ; post the contents of that file into your thread asking for help; and we can help you much quicker!

Q13. Are save games compatible from older game versions to this new version? E.g. from CM 01/02 to CM4?
A13. No, they are not compatible. Save games from different versions of CM (like 00/01 etc) are not either. You can load CM4 Demo saves with the Full version though.

Q14. I?m having trouble installing off the CD?
A14. Copy the contents to a place on your hard drive and install the game from there by running setup.exe.

Q15. The PC restarts itself when playing CM?
A15. CM cannot restart the computer on its own (except in eXP where it will restart by default after a critical error). As a result, the problem is usually related to overheating and restarting is the computer?s way of telling you that it is getting too hot. The best fix is to get some more case fans. If you cant do that, try taking the side off your computer to let some more air in. (WARNING: dont let anything spill/fall into the open case!)

Q16. My save game no longer appears in the restore list?
A16. This means that the file header has become corrupt and your game is beyond repair. The most likely causes for this happening are bad sectors (run scandisk) or data updates.

Q17. My save game gives me an error when I try and load it and it won?t load?
A17. Similar to A16 - this means that the save game is more than likely corrupt and your game is beyond repair. Again, the most likely causes for this happening are bad sectors (run scandisk) or data updates.
We are always glad to help you in the sigames community messageboard (http://community.sigames.com), what you should do first is run the Direct X diag tool.

Q18. What are the keyboard shortcuts in CM4?
A18. These are the various keyboard shortcuts in CM4:
[GLOBAL]
alt + - next screen
pg up - previous screen
pg dn - next screen
space - continue game / read unread news (when on news screen)
ctl+c - copy
ctl+insert - copy
ctl+v - paste
sh+insert - paste
ctl+x - cut
sh+delete - cut
ctl+z - undo
ctl+sh+z - redo (Mac standard)
ctl+y - redo
ctl+a - select all
ctl+q - quit
ctl+s - save
ctl+sh+s - save as
TAB - advance selection to next edit box
ctl+f - full screen
alt+return - full screen
F1 - your squad
F2 - your staff
F3 - your finances
F4 - your fixtures
F5 - your transfers
F6 - news
F7 - default competition that you are in
F8 - player/staff search
F9 - manager chat
F10 - game status
F11 - training
F12 - Quick search screen
[NEWS]
up/down - next/prev message
[DIALOGS]
return - default button
esc - cancel
[MENUS]
return - choose selected item
esc - cancel
up - move selection up
down - move selection down
pg up/dn - move selection by page
home - move selection to first item
end - move selection to last item

Q19. Will CM4 work with Windows 95?
A19. Microsoft doesn?t support Windows 95 anymore, and neither does CM4! CM4 will work on Windows 98/se, Me, NT4 with
Service Pack 6a, 2000 and XP.

Q20. Is there a/Will there be a Linux/Unix/BeOS/ version of CM4?
A20. No there isn?t/will not be! CM4 is only on Windows and Mac, and there are no current plans to port to any other weird or wonderful platform. It should work fine with Wine/WineX although that is untested and (very)unsupported.

Q21. Does CM4 work with AMD K6 Processors?
A21. Yes it does, CM4 will work fine on AMD K6 series processors. We must point out that these processors will be below our minimum specs, and will run the game very slowly!

Q22. Can we continue the games we've played in the Demo on the full version of CM4?
A22. Yes!

Q23. How do I take a Screenshot?
A23. Press the print screen button on the keyboard (Prt Sc(r) - next to F12). The image is now stored on the clipboard and you can access it by pasting (Ctrl+V) into Paint or other image-editing software.

Q24. My game just crashed with a ?This Program has performed an Illegal Operation and will be shut down? error? What can I do?
A24. These errors happen now and again to everyone with all kinds of windows applications, which will include CM4. We have
found that more often than not they happen when Windows encounters a conflict with a driver in use in your system. Click on the “Details” button for more information about the error message. If the error is an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll or module CM4.exe, it is indicative of a driver that is not functioning correctly. Generally, the driver in question will be either the one used by the video or sound card. Since hardware manufacturers update their drivers frequently, the problem is resolved by visiting the manufacturer's website, then downloading and installing the updated drivers.
If you have a name-brand system (Tiny, DAN, Dell etc), that company's website is the best source for drivers. If your system has been upgraded over time, and several of the components have been replaced, it may be necessary to visit the individual manufacturers instead to update these drivers.
We are always glad to help you in the sigames community messageboard (http://community.sigames.com), what you should do first is run the Direct X diag tool.

Q25. I?m getting an error that the wrong CD is in the drive. But CM4 is in the drive?
A25. You may want to check to ensure the CD is not damaged or dirty. Check the bottom (shiny) side of the CD for scratches, and use a soft cloth to wipe from the centre of the CD directly out to the edge to take care of any fingerprints or smudging. Then, try installing the game again.

Q26. ?During launch the game simply crashes back to the Windows desktop with no error message.“
– OR –
”After the game launches it locks up on a black screen."
A26. A large amount of the time this is to do with issues with the style of copy protection used on the Championship Manager
The first thing to you should do is to ensure that you have the CM4 CD in the drive when you are attempting to launch the game, and that your CDROM drive recognizes that it is inserted. (as seen in My Computer)
If you have certain CD-burning software installed, such as Nero Burning Rom, or other system tools like Inseektors, Daemon Tools, or others, you may need to disable any processes the software installs, such as the NeroCheck utility installed with Nero.
This problem may also occur if you are running debuggers, decompilers, or CD-ROM Drive emulators on your system, or if you are using Real Mode [DOS] drivers for your CD-ROM drive.
If you are still having the problem after taking these steps, you may need to upgrade the firmware in your CD-ROM drive. Please contact your equipment manufacturer if you need assistance with this.
If you believe that you are having trouble with your CD's SecuRom copy protection, please complete the following: http://www.ina-support.com/sony_troubleshooter/index.htm.

Q27. When I try and start CM4 I get a message that I don?t have enough memory to run the game?
A27. This will occur if the system does not have the required amount of RAM in order to run the game, or has limited memory due to an excessive amount of applications running in the background. If you get this error we would suggest closing all applications and rebooting the computer, and then starting CM4, and no other applications.

Q28. I'm having trouble installing the game on Windows NT?
A28. This is probably due to you not having installed service pack 3. Please check the Microsoft website and install this
important upgrade to service pack 6a and try installing the game again. You may also check that the user account you are trying to install under has administrator rights to the machine.

Q29. I've received an error 1607 whilst trying to install CM4?
A29. This is a generic error within Windows Installer v2.0; it generally indicates an error with your machine / windows setup. As we discover more specific issues this FAQ will be updated accordingly.

Q30. I want to copy my save game/tactics to another computer, where can I find them?
A30. In the root of your CM4 directory (?C:\Program Files\CM4 for example?) you will see a directory called ?User Data? Within that directory you will probably have 3 directories; firstly ?games? (which contains your save games), secondly ?tactics? (which contains your saved tactics) and filters! Don?t panic if you have more or fewer folders than this, it
depends on what you have saved from within the game!

Q31. I play my games on PC/Mac and I want to play my game on my friends Mac/PC? Is there anything I can do?
A31. Yes indeed, as long as both games are on the same patch version of CM4 Mac and PC save games should work on each operating system. Put your save game in the Cm4\User Data\games directory and play away.

Q32. I want to design my own skin, can you help me?
A32. The best thing you can do is go to one of the CM fan based skinning sites such as www.cmskins.com and read one of their guides! Don?t forget the Skins forum on the sigames.com message board!

Q33. I've just installed the game but it doesn?t seem to be able to find the Exe?
A33. We suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the game, when you are presented with the Finish message wait 2 seconds before clicking the confirmation button. This should allow the final files enough time to be copied across to your system correctly.

Q34. Does CM4 work on this new beta version of windows “Windows Longhorn”?
A34. CM4 is untested and unsupported on anything but Windows 98se, NT4 Service Pack 6a, Me, 2000 and XP.

Q35. My game wont install and/or crashes and/or is not working as it should and I want/need help immediately!
A35. Contact Eidos technical support as described at the back your manual if you want help immediately!

Q36. My mouse pointer is not clicking at the point of the finger on the mouse pointer?
A36. This is very rare and only seems to happen on Windows 98. We are working on a proper solution, but as a work around set your screen color to 16 bit and not 24 or 32 bit.

Q37. Im running WinXP SP-1 and I find programs running slower after I install Windows XP Service Pack 1?
A37. From Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815411
SYMPTOMS After you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), your programs may take as much as ten times as long to start.
CAUSE
This problem may occur if the programs you run frequently allocate and deallocate large blocks of memory. Changes in Windows XP SP1 in the memory management system have caused this operation to take significantly longer than with pre-SP1 Windows XP.
RESOLUTION
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this fix.
Helpful Links!
Technical Support Forums on http://community.sigames.com/ for CM the help and support
Windows Update : http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
DirectX : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp
If you still have problems then post your message on the Sports Interactive message board making sure to answer the following
questions in your post:
A) Your version of Championship Manager and any Patch installed
B) A complete specification of your PC, including any graphics and soundcards etc.
C) Any other programs running at the same time as Championship Manager
D) Steps to replicate this problem (so we can replicate it on our machines),
E) Have you used any editors or updates (official or unofficial)?
F) You should do first is run the Direct X diag tool. First Click Start > then run, and then type dxdiag into the box. I
box will pop up and it will be busy doing stuff for a few seconds. After that is finished click “Save all information” ;
post the contents of that file into your thread asking for help; and we can help you much quicker!

Any Comments or Problems with this FAQ email me @ vagga@sigames.com

____

Ef eitthvað er óljóst ekki vera hrædd við að svara þessum pósti með spurningum eða senda mér skilaboð.