Ég fann skemmtilega grein um Yamauchi á IGN boards. Ég verð helst að peista þessu hér svo þið getið lesið hana ókeypis :)

Lately Yaumachi has been under fire, mainly because everyone wants to get their last shots in before he retires. One thing he has been constantly flamed for was, THE N64. Personally, I liked this console, it bread some of the greatest games, ever (Mario 64, OoT, Banjoo-Kazooie (admit it, its fun ), Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64…). But over in Japan, its safe to say, the Nintendo 64 was a failure (at least in comparison to the Playstation).
Who was blamed? Mr. Yaumachi, people blamed his stubbornness. A quality he is notorious for.
He is today being blamed for refusing Squaresoft from his company, Nintendo.
But wait a minute, is he to blame?

No.

This man deserves applaud and praise before he retires, though he will never truly leave Nintendo, ever.

Lets examine the Nintendo 64 first. This was a cart-based system because of load times (mainly), CDs have load times, and that was something not acceptable, to, Miyamato. It was indeed Miyamato (fondly dubbed, “Shiggy” by fans) who pushed for the successor to the SNES (Super Famicom) to be cartridge based. He pushed Nintendo to do so, and there was no way Nintendo would refuse, after all, this was the man who pushed Nintendo (software wise) to where it was. The Nintendo 64 cartridge decision (in retrospect) is one of (if not THE) biggest mistakes made in Nintendo history.

Mr. Yaumachi is acquitted of the aforementioned charges on the first account.

Now, onto a fiasco that is not too well known, but very important. The relationship between Nintendo and Sony was simply great. So why is Sony out there today trying to kill of Nintendo? Simple, Yaumachi. Yaumachi found himself in a situation in which if he were to continue the relationship with Sony, Nintendo would become (to put it simply), Sony's Bitch. Yaumachi is not the kind of man that would be second to anyone, and swiftly cut of the relationship with Sony, and joined up with Philips.

In the above-mentioned case, Yaumachi saved Nintendo; he is acquitted on this charge, also.

Now, onto one of the touchiest subject, SquareSoft. Why isn't Yaumachi allowing them back? He must be a foolish, dirty, ignorant old man, right? Wrong. SquareSoft left Nintendo (more so the Nintendo 64) when they decided they wanted FMVs, they took Final Fantasy VII to the PSX (playstation), it would later be called, “The RPG by which all others are to be measured…” (IGN PSX). How could Nintendo miss out on one the biggest games in history? Cartridges, a Miyamato move. Regardless, Square would make some bad moves (namingly the Final Fantasy Movie), and today they want to develop for Nintendo. Why would a company that is 19% owned by Sony, one of the biggest electronics companies, ant to develop for Nintendo. Especially after they left Nintendo essentially RPG-less? Square know Nintendo was hurt a lot by the lack of their [Square's] presence on the Nintendo 64, so why? Simple, the money was in the GameBoy Advance, Nintendo's insanely successful successor to the GameBoy Color, the GameBoy Series, and the best selling console(s) in history. Yaumachi here drew the line, and supposedly said, “No”. For this “move”, Nintendo fans spite Yaumachi. This however, is not the truth. Square ONLY wants to develop for the GameBoy Advance, and by “develop”, they mean, “port old RPGs from the SNES to the GBA and make huge amounts of money”. This still leaves Nintendo's main system, the GameCube, Square less. Yaumachi would be bending over for Square in much the same manner he would have had he agreed to Sony's plane. He gave Square an offer (this offer was told to the internet by a insider, and I can no longer find the link, but it sounds very much authentic, and definitely sounds like something Yaumachi would ask for). He demanded one or two (some people say one game, other say two, we are not sure how many) EXCLUSIVE games to the Nintendo GameCube, and 2 games (in addition to the exclusive) to the GameCube per year for the next 5 years (Click here to see the articles that talk about this =). A very fair, and reasonable offer in the eyes of any Nintendo fan/GameCube owner. As of now, Square is the one who refuses this offer, it is not Yaumachi who is refusing Squaresoft.

By the information above, Mr. Yaumachi is acquitted of the 3rd, and final charge.

So, he's FINALLY leaving (though doubt exists since he has said he would retire many times in the past). Many people are very excited about this, expecting sudden and dramatic changes. This is not going to happen. Firstly, many of the decisions at Nintendo have been made by the board, which has been known to rule over Yaumachi on occasion. Secondly, Yaumachi's influence will never leave Nintendo. He took a card company, and made it one of the biggest and most important companies in the world. There is no way his influence is going to end in HIS Company. He will always be allowed to “pop in” and make a few “suggestions”. Thirdly, Nintendo will be “ruled” by a group of people after he leaves, it is inevitable that the people will think like him (many of them will), especially since these people will most likely have worked under Yaumachi for many, many years. So in the end, Nintendo will not change much, if any at all.

So, with this, I bid farewell to Yaumachi, one of the greatest men to grace the gaming seen. He dropped out of college, and turned a card company into a beloved company into one of the greatest companies in the world. I owe my countless hours spent with my GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, Super NES, Nintendo 64, and my GameCube in large part to this man. He took risks where others wouldn't. He never swayed from his principles, even when coming to a new market (Nintendo Of America, pioneered by his son-in-law). He refused to budge, stayed true to himself, and conquered all odds in a dying industry. He bought Gaming, and video games back to the world, along with help from his employee's. For this, I am forever grateful. I would be lucky to find myself like Yaumachi when I am his age. He has done so much for so many, and for that, anyone playing any video game must thank him.
Thank you Mr. Yauma

<br><br><i> Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.

Snake-Kojima </i