<i><b>April 29, 2003</b> - At times like these, a game journalist must wonder how he or she (in this case he, last time I checked) should go about honestly previewing a game; in this instance, Enter the Matrix. On the one hand, it's all I can do to keep the hype from the movie and the game from entering my brain like a Matrix Sentinel ripping into the Nebuchadnezzar. It's like I need a pair of lead earmuffs to stop the hype from seeding itself in my brain. The movie – I mean the two movies – that will quickly pounce on the public this May, and in the fall, are continuing to build in the public's consciousness like few projects have done in the past. Both seem to simply gain momentum from the mere existence of the other (not to mention the Animatrix trailer).

And it's all falling into place. It's as if Infogrames and the Wachowski Brothers have foreseen the future, a prophesy that reads: Enter The Matrix will conquer all.

Or will it? Because of the other hand, for a guy like me, a guy who helps to produce hype on games he actually likes, Enter the Matrix is a troubling game. At the game's debut in Hollywood this winter, the unveiling was a pure piece of Hollywood production, glitter and hype. While I was wowed by the Animatrix trailer, I was un-moved by the early preview build. Usually, a game is either fun or not, and it's those games that find themselves in the middle that make it strangely interesting to cover. Enter The Matrix. Do I like it? I hate the feeling that I should like it – that I'm supposed to like it – and I despise the notion that it will sell because of the power of the movie. I hope that the game turns out well, and that it sells on the strength of its gameplay, and only its gameplay. So, what should I do? Does the game suck or rock? What does a preview of this monstrous game really mean at this point in time?

Having been given a preview of Infogrames/Atari's game (we played the PS2 version), we have spent a good deal of the afternoon playing it. Developed by Shiny Entertainment, creators of games such as Messiah, Wild 9s and the Earthworm Jim series, Enter The Matrix takes a straight action-adventure route, replete with lots of dramatic, in-game cutscenes. The game is a sort of in-between, read-between-the-lines-of-the-movie title that takes two new characters Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith) and Ghost (Anthony Wong) and puts you into their stiff leather boots. Yet it doesn't tell the movie's story at all, which is why you'll have to see the movie, play the game, and watch the Animatrix trailers to get the whole picture.

We are sorry in advance that we cannot reveal much about the story, but to be honest, we essentially have been forced to sign the most monstrous NDA (non-disclosure agreement) we have ever signed, thus preventing us from revealing the story's twists and turns. To be fair, any mention of the story would, or at least, might reveal plot elements. So, you'll just have to wait.

Shown from a stiff, panhandle-like third-person perspective, players can select either character from the beginning and start playing through a series of action sequences in large, empty builds. Shiny used motion-capture to re-create the likeness of the movie characters. The result, at least in this preview and surely in the final version, is a mixed bag. The models do indeed look realistic and so they present players with the feeling that they are being put into the role of the movie characters. That's a start. Having said that, the characters move in peculiar if not entirely awkward ways. They move with a robotic motion – in stiff, unrealistic mechanical movements. Heck, they run like a downgraded T2 from Terminator 2.</i>

Síða 1/3<br><br>- Royal Fool

<a href="http://www.hugi.is/forsida/bigboxes.php?box_type=userinfo&user=RoyalFool&syna=msg“>Skilaboð</a> | <a href=”mailto:royalfool@hotmail.com“>royalfool@hotmail.com</a>

Stjórnandi á <a href=”http://www.hugi.is/leikjatolvur“>Leikjatölvur</a>, <a href=”http://www.hugi.is/blizzard“>Blizzard Leikir</a> og <a href=”http://www.hugi.is/cc">Command & Conquer</a