Tekið af www.nba.com/boston

The Boston Celtics announced today the team has accepted the resignation of Head Coach Jim O’Brien and named Assistant Coach John Carroll Interim Head Coach.
“When I was hired I went through a short list of coaches that were available and I felt Jim O’Brien was the best man for the job,” said Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. “Together, along with Ownership, we embarked on a process of rebuilding the Celtics to a Championship caliber team. However, Jim and I share different philosophies on how best to attain our shared goal of a 17th Championship and I felt those differences could be overcome and he felt differently. I would like to thank him for his tireless effort and I am certain Jim O’Brien will be a head coach again when the opportunity arises.”

O’Brien, in the midst of his third full season as head coach after being named Interim Head Coach on January 8, 2001, signed a multi-year contract as head coach on April 24, 2001 and was given an extension on May 21, 2003. O’Brien holds a 139-119 (.539) regular season record and a 13-13 (.500) postseason mark including a trip to the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals.

Carroll is in his seventh season as assistant coach for the Celtics after being named to the coaching staff on June 23, 1997. Overall, Carroll has been in the NBA for nine seasons after serving as an advance scout for the Orlando Magic during the 1996-97 season and served in the same capacity in 1995-96 for the Portland Trail Blazers. Prior to entering the NBA, Carroll was the Head Basketball Coach for Duquesne University from 1989-1995. He was named the Atlantic 10 Conference Coach of the Year following the 1990-91 season as he led the Dukes to their best-ever A-10 record with a 10-8 league mark. Before coaching Duquesne, Carroll was an assistant coach and chief recruiter for seven years at Seton Hall, Head Coach at Bloomfield College in Bloomfield, NJ from 1979-82 and Graduate Assistant/Basketball Coach at the University of Delaware from 1977-79.

<a href="http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/obrien_040127.html">Hérna</a> er fréttin.