Herra Groucho Marx Julius Henry Marx fæddist 2. október 1890 en lést 19. ágúst 1977. Hann er best þekktur fyrir sitt hlutverk sem Groucho Marx, amrískur gamanleikari og leikari, frægastur fyrir verk sín í teyminu "Marx Bræðurnir" og einnig fyrir verk sem hann samdi einn.

Groucho Marx hefur skemmt mörgum yfir tíðina og það er ekki langt síðan ég uppgötvaði snilligáfu hans og sendi inn grein, sem var miður illa lesin, á Sorpið. Ég ætla aðeins að endurhanna hana og bæta jafnvel við nokkrum tilvitnum en ekki samt sem áður öllum - forvitnir geta náð sér í fleiri tilvitnanir hér.

Groucho Marx um hjátrúir:

When a person's nose itches, it is a sign that it should be scratched.

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

Thirteen at a table is unlucky when the hostess has only twelve chops.

Shaking hands across the table means that two parties are lazy.

Singing before breakfast is a forewarning of a fight with a neighbour- if the neighbour is trying to sleep late.

Throwing salt over the shoulder is likely to give the impression that the man who throws the salt has dandruff.

Recognising the number 13 is a sign that you have been to school.

Finding a four leaf clover is a sign that you have been down on your hands and knees.

To get out of bed on the wrong side probably means that you had had too much the night before.

To carry a rabbit's foot is a sign that you are a good shot- or have a friend that is.

When three men get a light off one match it is indicative of the fact that they have only one match or are Scotsmen.

Þetta eru fyrstu tilvitnanir sem ég notaði í greininni minni á Sorpinu. Ég vil heldur bjóða ykkur að lesa quotin á wikiquote síðunni hans heldur en að copya allt hér!

Sýnishorn, í raun :)

When I invite a woman to dinner I expect her to look at my face. That's the price she has to pay!

A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke.

Mr. Grover [Í starfsmannaviðtali]: What experience have you had at a department store?
Wolf J. Flywheel (Groucho): I was a shoplifter for three years.

A likely story - and probably true!

Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age.

I sent a club a wire stating, “PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER”.

From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter! Someday I intend reading it.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception!

My experience is that people are most likely to listen to reason when in bed.

I don't have a photograph. I'd give you my footprints, but they're upstairs in my socks.
(Þegar hann var beðinn um mynd af sjálfum sér fyrir skilríki)

I find telivision very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.

Die my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!
Síðustu orð hans ={