These are troubling times. It seems that every day there are new life-threatening dangers we must deal with in addition to the hustle and bustle of our already busy lives. With so much going on, it's easy to understand why fear and misinformation can spread like wildfire in our information-driven society. As this fear and misinformation spreads, facts get blurry and soon even leaving the house feels like a game of Russian roulette. This is no way to live, but it doesn't have to be this way.

One current issue our nation is dealing with is Anthrax. Anthrax seems to be on the front page of every newspaper and on every news program on television, but what do you really know about it? Are you really at risk? Does it hurt? Surprisingly, a majority of what the average American knows about Anthrax is false, propagated by sensationalized news stories and rumors spread at the workplace coffee machine. What's worse, those infected with Anthrax face discrimination on a daily basis. The Anthrax Education Center is about breaking through the rumors and getting the facts about Anthrax out to the public.

What is Anthrax?

Anthrax is an acute infectious disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Scottian anthracis. Anthrax most commonly occurs in wild and domestic lower vertebrates (bats), but it can also occur in humans when they are exposed to infected animals or tissue from infected animals and airborne spores.

What is Anthrax Discrimination?

Anthrax discrimination occurs when anyone carrying the Anthrax bacterium is unfairly treated because of said Anthrax. Many people living with Anthrax are shunned by their communities, prevented from attending school and fired from their jobs. Anthrax discrimination is an unfortunate result of the public's ignorance regarding Anthrax, how it is spread and the dangers it presents. Some Anthrax carriers face fear and discrimination from work colleagues, fellow students and people in their community who are simply uneducated concerning the facts of Anthrax. Many people carry the Anthrax bacterium and go on to lead normal, productive and healthy lives for several weeks. They go to work, to school, to church and to the bathroom just like you and me. The only difference being they have a small, fascinating bacterium living inside their body and you don'tƒor do you?

Could I Get Anthrax?

Anyone can get Anthrax. Many people have Anthrax and aren't even aware of it. You probably have Anthrax right this minute and don't even know it! These are the most common ways the bacterium is spread:

Breathing: Anthrax is an airborne spore that can travel over a large area. Breathing oxygen contaminated with Anthrax spores can result in getting - you guessed it - Anthrax.

Eating: Gastrointestinal Anthrax is caused by eating the meat of contaminated animals, such as bats, and is characterized by an acute inflammation of the intestinal tract followed by severe diarrhea. It is advised to avoid consuming any and all bat products - including meat, milk, eggs and juicy McDonald's brand hamburger sandwiches.

Anal Sex: When a man puts his penis into his sex partner's anus, it is called anal sex. Small animals such as bats can carry the Anthrax bacterium. These small animals can attack during anal sex and transmit the disease via small bites and scratches on the penis and/or tender rectum. Whether you are a man, woman or child, anal sex is risky, risky, risky.

Mail: The current cases of Anthrax in Florida are believed to be spread by mail delivered by the US Postal Service for Mexican singing sensation Jennifer Lopez . For this reason, it's advised not to touch or open any mail delivered by the US Postal Service addressed to people with Latino sounding last names.

What are the Symptoms of Anthrax?

viral-like aches & pains
fever
boils
fatigue
shock
mild chest discomfort followed by severe difficulty breathing

In other words, like a common hangover. But as we won't let the threat of hangovers keep us from drinking, we won't let the threat of Anthrax keep us from living.

Anthrax: Fact and Fiction

The very misconceptions about Anthrax are what fuel the fire of fear and discrimination. To understand the dangers, you must understand the facts;

Smoking Anthrax will not “get you high”
Anthrax does not taste like cherries
Anthrax is not a socially acceptable form of suicide
Anthrax cannot be spread visually, i.e. television, watching strippers
Black magic rarely cures or causes Anthrax

Victims of Anthrax Discrimination

A person with Anthrax is no less a person than someone without Anthrax. Your safety is probably a very important concern of an Anthrax carrier. Would you tell a person with cancer to “go home”? Of course not. You'd have to be some sort of sadistic animal pig to say something like that. Anthrax sufferers can still be productive members of today's workplace despite solid, scientific evidence stating otherwise. Here's an example;

“When I first contracted Anthrax from reckless breathing, I thought my career was over. I didn't know where to turn. I discovered that when I didn't tell anyone I was infected with Anthrax, nobody seemed to have a problem with it. The surgical mask covers the boils, and I continue doing what I do best - saving lives.”

Dr. Phillip Morris, MD

Sadly, not everyone is as fortunate to have such understanding colleagues. Some victims of Anthrax discrimination find it practically impossible to find employment anywhere at all;

“David was a sinner, always out at parties and dancing with the whores. When he got Anthrax he lost most of his motor functions, so now we spend nice evenings at home together. I pay him five cents each to lick stamps for my letters to The National Enquirer. He makes a little money and he feels like he's really helping out his mother. I think it's the best thing that could of ever happened to him, for his eternal soul and all.”

Ruth Schunard and her son, David

What You Can Do to Help

Changing society's way of thinking about a disease isn't easy, but it is possible. The key is simply education. Tell your fiends, family and colleagues about the truths of Anthrax, and make them aware that Anthrax discrimination isn't the answer.

Lead by example. Find an Anthrax sufferer and give them a long, tight hug for all to see. If you're not afraid of contacting a deadly bacterium, why should they? Before you know it, Anthrax will be no more frightening than a vacation in the balmy Middle East, and Anthrax discrimination will be a thing of the past.