On a fair summer’s day, four very good friends gathered around a table to have breakfast at six o‘clock in the morning. Today was one year since they had decided to build a school. A school that was to be finished a few weeks from now. They had started to build the school the 17th of June in the cockcrow 987 and now it was the 23rd of May 988.

They had started with this dream of a magical school ten years ago. In the nine years that followed they had each made a name for themselves and made their way into books and history: Godric being a brave dueller; Salazar for his ambition and cunning mind; Helga for her great cooking spells and kindness; Rowena for intelligence, creativity and a mind like no other.

Finally, in 987 they decided to put their dream into action. Rowena knew of a cliff where an old, small castle had stood; now there was only a small part of it standing, with Hogwarts flowers growing freely around it. They found the place and started to build. Godric started and was well on the way to exposing wizardry to the muggle world with his magic on the old ruined castle, but as any good friend would do Rowena stopped him. The first month went by with many safety and security spells and after that the castle started to appear up on the cliff.

Now, in the morning of the 23rd of May, they were seated around a table in the biggest room in the castle.

“I have been thinking, dear,” Helga said to Salazar. “How will we find professors to teach the children? How will we know if the professors have the potential, the knowledge to use this responsibility well?”

“We’ll only pick the best, Helga,” said Salazar, wiping his face with a handkerchief. “We know of many great wizards and witches and, if we’re lucky, other professors will hear of this new school once it’s finished and will want to teach here instead of down in Wales!”

“Well, I’m certain that people will hear of the school, Salazar,” Rowena said with her strong Scottish accent. “The school that has been founded on the hill where Hogwarts flowers grow freely.”

“Yes, those flowers are beautiful, aren’t they, Rowena?”

“Yes, of course they are, Helga.”

“Well, Helga my dear, if you are finished speaking about flowers maybe we could speak of more pressing matters?” asked Godric, putting his fork down.

“Such as, Godric? How you should comb your hair?”
said Rowena, and chuckled. “Well, we have discussed almost everything we can discuss about the school. All the letters and the poor owls have been flying throughout the country.”

“Well, we could consider the school itself. The classrooms, the stairs, how to find the elves for the kitchen.”

“Godric! You can’t use elves in the kitchen!” Helga stood up, her face becoming as red as her hair.

“Oh Helga, not this again! How are we supposed to feed a thousand children without elves?”

“I don’t know, magic maybe! We are wizards and witches, aren’t we?”

“You know that no wizard’s magic can do that much!” said Rowena. “Now sit down and finish your breakfast.”

“You are not my mother, Rowena.”

“Well, well, girls, lets not blow up the castle, we’ve just built it,” said Salazar with a smirk on his face. Helga sat down and sliced the bread.

“What if we arrange that the elves will have a big kitchen, and no elf will be hurt?”

Helga put down her fork and thought about what Salazar had just said. “I will want to speak to every elf alone when they come.”

“Every elf?” asked Salazar.

“Every one of them.”

“Well, it is your life, Helga. Plus, you are in charge of the kitchen,” said Godric, finishing his breakfast. “If you will excuse me, I have an appointment with a parchment and a quill.” He stood up, bowed and walked out, up to his tower.

“He probably has a date with one of his old defence text books,” said Rowena and they laughed.

“Now shall we not make fun of our dear friend who just so happens to be a bit paranoid,” said Salazar with a chuckle. “But we really should talk about our house.”

“Well,” said Rowena, “we need to talk about the blazon. And the colours!”

“Oh dear,” said Salazar, and shook his head; he did not want to be a part of this conversation.

“Well, I need very much to head down to my quarters; I will see you two ladies in a few hours when we will charm certain rooms in this castle.”

And he left, leaving Helga and Rowena to chat about their obsession with a crest for their school and each house.

“I want to have a serpent on my crest,” they heard him call from the door.

“Well, then, there are just three left,” said Helga. “I’ve been thinking of a badger, and I do love yellow.”

“Well, what about an eagle for me?”

“Your name is Ravenclaw, a raven or an eagle is suited.”

“Yes, that was what I thought. And I love bronze and blue,” said Rowena.

“What about Godric?”

“A cat should be on his crest.”

Helga snorted. “A cat? Why on all that is magical a cat?”

“He purrs like a cat when he falls asleep at four o’clock every day.” They both sniggered.

“Well, let us ask him later then.”

“Of course, my dear.”

“Salazar wants a serpent. And he always wears that silver necklace and he loves green,” said Helga.

“And red and gold for our dear Godric.”

“Yes, gold does suit him well,” nodded Helga. “I was thinking of yellow and black for me. Maybe the badger should be on a dotted yellow and black background?”

“Oh, Helga, you know that speckles don’t look good on you.”

“Am I going to wear the crest?”

“No, of course not.”

“I didn’t think so. But I know what you mean, no dots for me.”

“Well, then. It’s settled isn’t it? We’ll just have to ask Godric about that cat.”

“Marvellous.”

“You know, Helga, I have been thinking about this ceiling in this great hall.” Rowena pointed up in the loft. “I think it would look better if there weren’t a ceiling, if the students could look up into the sky while they sat and ate.”

“Well, yes, it would be beautiful.”