þessi grein er tekinn af sohh.com

I was 16 years old in 1991. I was a sophomore in high school and a crazy hip-hop head. I remember when I heard that DJ Quik was coming to town to do a show at the Mammoth Event Center in downtown Denver. I wanted to go so bad, but it was on a school night and pops wasn't having it, plus I didn't have the loot to buy tickets anyway (Orange Julius paid $4.25 an hour!). That night, I was watching the news, and they had a live report from the Mammoth citing that a “riot had ensued at a local rap concert”. As most of you know, Quik used to represent the Blood gang pretty openly back then and apparently a lot of Denver Crips rolled up to the show. After gang signs were exchanged, bottles started flying towards the stage, one hitting one of Quik's bodyguards, and Quik and his crew started throwing bottles back into the crowd and cursing at folks. He was arrested and spent the night in a Denver jail. That night, a verse to the track, “Jus Lyke Compton” was created.

This was the first I ever heard of a rapper being arrested or in trouble with the law. Now in 2002, you can't go a month without hearing how this rapper has to go to court or this rapper has been charged with assault or weapons charges. Then when they finally get to court, they act like they're surprised they've been caught as if they're above the law. Or they play the “good boy” role where they have never done any wrong. But when you listen to their music, it's another story.

For example, look at C-Murder. I don't care if he is guilty or not guilty, but don't expect the media to be on your side when the word “MURDER” is in your name and you rhyme about capping folks when they do you wrong. Why is he so surprised? He should be happy about it; it supports the image you're trying to portray right? Be proud! Wear your jailhouse blues with honor!

And why is everyone on this ‘Free Shyne’ crap? Homeboy busted off some shots in the middle of a club! Even if he didn't hit anyone, do you expect him to get off? Gimmie a break man. If you really fear for your life where you have to carry gun with you to the club, you shouldn't be going out anyway. Just kick back at the crib and hook up the PS2 or Xbox and have a night. Rent a couple of movies, man. Go to the studio. Go to London and chill for minute. Don't go around busting caps in New York clubs, because you will get caught! Are these people even thinking?

Then we got someone like Nate Dogg, claiming that he “never loved no hoes”. But a freaking S.W.A.T. team had to come get him after he allegedly kidnapped his girlfriend and vandalized her car. You know who else does this kind of stuff? CRACKHEADS! I listen to Nate now with a whole new perception, homeboy went crazy over a female. That's like Eddie Murphy getting played by Robin Givens in ‘Boomerang’. “First the Fat Boys break up, now this.”

Some of these cats haven't even done any dirt until they get their record deals. Tupac (R.I.P.), for example had a clean record before he got a deal. Eminem also had a clean record before he blew up. Seems like they're putting on a show for the world on some fake thug crap. Now before you Tupac worshippers start emailing me saying that Pac was the greatest, and he's the realist rapper ever and a true thug, you can look it up for yourself. Better yet, ask his momma! At the same time cats diss Nas, calling him fake because he's never been arrested?!?!
Christmas morning smelled fresher than angel pussy - Aesop Rock