A hip hop group with a sense of humour – now, that’s what I’m talking about. It doesn’t really shine through on their debut album, “Kidnapper Van”, but Prozack, Marc Stretch and DJ Design are three funny guys. Their music bursts at the seams with an independent ethos and those dusty, raw samples we’ve come to expect from (San Francisco) Bay Area artists. They address themes such as the strict rules people sometimes impose upon themselves and others about being “underground”, artists who don’t pay their dues, and their day-to-day drive and passion for hip hop which they take up on the anthemic “Full Time B-Boy”. DJ Design has also just released a twelve-inch through Peanut Butter Wolf’s Stonesthrow Records with Quasimoto/Madlib and others, so you know this group is making moves.

I checked my German dictionary for KIDNAPPERVAN but couldn't find a meaning. Is KIDNAPPERVAN some famous European person?
Marc Stretch: No, it is actually an ode to my late father who was a stunt driver for the Ringling Brothers Circus. KIDNAPPERVAN was the name of the act. It involved my dad, to midgets, and a lawn mulcher. My dad got the worst of it obviously.
Prozack: No, but speaking of Germany, Volkswagen is releasing a new van next year based on the kidnappervan album that comes with a fake puppy, tinted windows, blood-stain resistant interior and built-in wrist and ankle restraints. I heard that if you purchase the kidnappervan LX, it even comes with a bull horn on top that plays musicjust like an ice cream truck.

How did all of you pay your dues? Was it expensive? Which artists do you think have taken a raincheck on paying their dues or - with “Overnight Success” - are you addressing a type of artist?
Prozack: Naw, Keith just put it on his Diner's Club Card. Now we're allowed to kick it in Benigan's and Applebee's. VIP baby! While we did address a certain type of artist, I think we were also targeting a particular type of fan. The “bandwagon” fan who doesn't have his/her own opinion but shares everyone else’s simply because they're too lazy to support.
Prozack [response number 2]: It’s a little known fact that FL paid our dues by dancing in the early 90's. We used to dance back-up for Marky Mark. We were called the Funky Bunch back then, but we changed our name to Foreign Legion because Vanilla Ice's dancers, “the VIP Posse”, had beef with us and we were scared so we signed up for the witness protection program. As far as other artists “paying dues”, I don't think anyone else in the industry has worked harder, more consistently or for as many years as Lil' Bow Wow. That guy is a perfect example of turning your dreams into reality. I read that ever since he was a child he has stuck withhis goal of being a rap star. He is a real talent. He worked his whole life for fame.

It's pretty rare for hip hop albums not to have a few guests but you guys have kept it strictly within the family. Is that something you were focused on as a principle?
Dj Design: We didn't focus on it, per say, but with Liberace being dead and Zamphier (master of the pan flute) being in self-imposed seclusion, there really wasn't anybody else we wanted to work with. Except maybe Sgt. Slaughter or Gallagher.
Prozack: We wanted the world to hear what we sound like as Foreign Legion without a lot of other artists to confuse people. This is our first LP and our sound is developing.

To what extent do your live performances of un-released songs help modify or mould what eventually gets put out?
Prozack: It's tough to call that one because not everything is conducive to rocking a crowd. Some things are more listenable at home, where you can really concentrate. We figure, if Marc Stretch stage dives during a show and someone actually risks their life and tries to catch him, it MUST be a hit!!!
Prozack: Our newer material is geared more for live performances. When we recorded “Kidnappervan” we had no idea what worked on tour, because at the time of recording we had never played for anyone. Now that we have been on the road a bit we are more aware of how certain songs affect people on records live.

Why do you think the seven-inch has suddenly become the ‘in’ thing in the last year or so?
DJ Design: Because, as any real man knows, it's the girth that matters not the length of it.
Prozack: I'd rather not talk about my former career as a dildo model. Besides it hasn't been 7“ since I was seven years old. I am eight and a quarter now, and I'd also like to mention that I own the master moulds.

What's the chance of getting you guys to steal some scooters out here instead of bikes ‘cause scooters really shit me? Maybe you can make that your next album: Beats to rock while scooter stealin'… ?
Marc Stretch: Look at me man!!! They barely have airplanes that fit me! Do you really think they make a scooter that will fit my big ass!?!?! I won't steal one but I'll bite the tires off one of those bad boys, while it's moving. On some cheetah and the antelope sh*t!!
Prozack: Aren't the handle-bars on bikes and scooters on the opposite side than of those in the states?

If you could have immediate entry into a pop group, which one would it be, what would your role be and which other teen idol would you be dating?
Marc Stretch: Do you really have to ask?? It's got to be Destiny's Child!! I would be the official ”spooner“. So ladies, if you're reading this, I got MADDDDDDDDDD references!!!!
Prozack: I'd want to join Destiny's Child and have an incestuous lovefest on the tour bus. This is my coming out interview. Yes you heard it right, Prozack is a lesbian.

Are you DJ-friendly?
Prozack: Don Johnson? I always liked Phillip Michael Thomas a bit more. I think it was the thin, leather ties. DJ's alright, though.

Do you work out?
DJ Design: Actually I produced the Tae BO series and Prozack has actually gotten himself in such good shape that he has a negative body fat rating!
Prozack: I bare knuckle fist fight in a church league.

How did you hook up with the pigeons on the back of your CD Cover? Are you buying into that whole pigeon-scrub thing ‘cause that’s what I'm sensing…
Prozack: We actually sacrificed those pigeons so we could have magic powers of darkness and everlasting youth in the name of Prince Beelzebub Satan the Lord of all that is Evil, but it didn't work. We did get lice though.
Marc Stretch: Actually those are our trained pidgeons. We've trained them to poke out the eyes of emcess with speech impediments if they don't purchase our tape, ”Speak Clearly, FOOL!!!" for a mere $19.95. We got Slick Rick, and then we got Bushwick Bill.
DJ Design: We were getting ready to come after Ma$e but he got out of the game before we could catch him.

I've been reading some of the other interviews you have done… is it difficult being funny all the time?
Prozack: What do you mean funny???? Like we're here to amuse you?!?!? Funny how!!!!!! You mean….like a clown!!!!!!!!!??????
Marc Stretch: Hey, Zack, you're bustin the kid's chops here. He didn't mean nothin.
Prozack: He's a big boy let him speak for himself!! So look me in the eyes buddy and tell me… WHAT THE #@%@^! IS SO FUNNY ABOUT US???????
Dj Design: Where are his pills??

Finally, complete this: ‘whatchu wanna be when you grow up’?
DJ Design: A runway model.
Prozack: The world's tallest action figure.
Marc Stretch: A Bionic Bigfoot