Some people make beats. Some people are producers. What's the difference? It takes a producer to understands the complete process. The music first has to set the tone. The track alone should be able to, at least somewhat, define the theme of the song. Beyond that, once the emcee has laced his lyrics over the music the producer knows that the beat and rhyme alone can't carry the weight. There's the careful process of arrangement. The way the music changes, drops, and builds help give the song character. When done properly the results are fascinating. The man known as the Architect knows and understands this and he utilizes the proper tools when constructing the foundation where the words of the emcee find a home…the music.

Formless: What's your earliest memory of hip hop?

Architect: ….90.1…a college radio station (in the Bay).

What were some of the groups you were hearing on there that stood out to you?

Schooly D, Biz Markie, Co Crush, Bambaataa…all those records ya know.

When and how did you decide that you were going to be a part of it?

My pops was a DJ so I remember back in the day at (about) the end of my 7th grade year he gave me some old turntables that he had. I was just trying to…not really doing tricks…just scratching, mixing the records back-n-forth. Listening to a lot of old stuff like Schooly D, Cool C, Steady B and all that stuff.

Where you ever involved in any of the other elements besides DJing and obviously production?

I missed around with rhymin' back in the days and I did a lil' breakdancing. That just wasn't my calling…

As far as your history as a DJ. How extensive were you into that?

Through my High School years I did High School house parties. Right before the end of my High School years I got a sampler…I was mixing records (since) like ‘88/’89 so I was hearing all that stuff then and I was trying to see how they were putting the beats together cause I was loving the hip hop so much. I figured it out so I got myself a sampler. Then I still mixed and stuff but (production) just took my full attention.

What was your first sampler?

EPS

Who were you main production influences?

The Bomb Squad was off the hook back then. Premier and all the Gang Starr stuff. Pete Rock, Large Professor, SD50s, Showbiz, Diamond. Dre…I love Dre. All that first N.W.A stuff. (Basically) all the producers from around that time when (producers) started really diggin'.

Describe your production style…how do you go about constructing a track?

My thing is I like to try and dig through the records and find a bunch of sounds and chop ‘em up. Then play my own melody if possible. You can’t really loop things up the way you used to be able to so when you're sampling you gotta freak it so I like to chop things up. Really I just go off the head.

What equipment are you working with now?

I use a MPC 2000 and a JB 2080.

First thing I saw your name on for production credits was the Homeliss Derelix song on the Bomb Compilation (“Fuck You” ‘94). Was that your first thing released?

I did a song for Coolio. A song called “I Remember” (writers note: w/JRO of the LIXX). Grand had actually moved down to L.A. for a minute and I hooked up with COOLIO’s brother and went down there myself and ya know…

Who else were you working with about this time?

I was working with Encore. We were getting our sound together. We all knew each other from back in day. (Also), me and Persevere .

How did that connection happen between you in GRAND (of the Homiless Derelix)?

Man, I met GRAND while I was in High School. I was walking thru a mall and I knew this dude who was a dancer who knew GRAND's brother. Of course, with meeting GRAND's brother I met him too. We figured we had pretty much the same style of music we were into so we just hooked from there. From that day…

What are some of your personal favorite tracks from your catalog?

(On the Encore LP) “Esoteric” and.“084.”..those are my two favorites. (Also), “Speak The Truth” (Planet Asia) and “Beyond Heads” (Turbin). I also mix and engineer all the records I do in my own studio so I be juiced to hear how it comes out. The final product…how it sounds on the record.

Do you have any upcoming projects we should be looking out for?

I got Persevere's LP coming real soon…working on that. Working on the Turbin album, Holekost album, and the Grand album. The Exec Lounge is almost done (writers note: it is complete and coming real soon!) and we are going to be starting a volume two of that. The new ENCORE album… Me and Dave Dub have a single out right now in stores.

Who all makes up the Exec Lounge for this first LP?

It's got Encore, Persevere, Turbin, Grand, Dave Dub, and Holekost. I did all the production and DJ ROE does the scratching.

Outside the family of the Exec Lounge who are some emcees that you would like to hear on your tracks?

I'd love to do something with NAS…bring back the old sound for everybody. Pharoahe, that would be cool. I wouldn't mind doing something with Snoop…just to try it out. I try to have a lot of diversity with what I do. Kool G Rap and Big Daddy (Kane), I'd love to do something with them. I heard that dude Rob O from I-N-I bust. He's real tight. I like his stuff…

Any final words?

I was raised in Los Petos California…South Bay, but I was born in Milwaukee so one love to Milwaukee and the whole midwest.

Peace…

Architect Discography:

COOLIO w/J RO-I REMEMBER ('93)

HOMELISS DERILEX-FUCK YOU (BOMB COMPILATION) ('94)

HOMELISS DERILEX-SURVIVE'N THE GAME, EXPLANATIONS, CRITICAL MELTDOWN ('95)

HOMELISS DERLIXX-CASH MONEY B/W OPERATIONS ('96)

PERSEVERE-SMALL TIME IN THIS, ARMED & DANGEROUS ('97)

ENCORE-THE ESSENCE B/W DEFINED BY THE DOLLAR ('97)

PBW W/ENCORE-THE UNDERCOVER RMX

ENCORE-ICE AGE B/W DIRTY ('98)

PLANET ASIA-THE PROFESSIONAL ('99)

PLANET ASIA-SPEAK THE TRUTH B/W CALLIN SHOTS ('99)

TURBIN-WIDE OPEN B/W FRUSTRATE ('99)

HOMELISS DERILEXX-FEVA, ONE CONCEPT, POPULAR SCIENCE ('99)

TURBIN-BEYOND HEADS (ABB COMP ‘00)

HOLEKOST-ILLUMINANT CHANTS (’00)

ENCORE-SELF PRESERVATION LP [ALL EXCEPT "IT'S GOIN DOWN"] ('00)

SINISTA-SSERIOUSS! [RMX] ['00]

ENCORE-LIVEWIRE (UNPREDICTABLE) ('00)

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE-BIG TYME & HEAT RAYS 12“ ('01)

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE LP ('01)

DAVE DUBB 12” ('01)

-MISC.

FANATIK-CRIMESIDE (CUTS ONLY)

Q BERT-????? (HERARTIK)

KUBIQ-PERSONAL & P.O.T.TL.E (CUTS ONLY) ('01)

unreleased demo with CHARIZMA