Viðtal við Akrobatik !!! Ég hélt að e-hver vildi kannski lesa þetta sem ég fann á einhverri síðu !!! Af því að hann var nú að halda uppi fjörinu á Klakanum !!!Akrobatik : interviewed

Akrobatik is an MC coming straight out of Boston USA, whose recently released 12“ ”Internet MC's“ garnered both popular and critical acclaim, whilst making a point a lot of people were trying to make. His debut EP, cunningly entitled ”The EP“ is available now in your local record store. I caught up with him for a quick interview.

First off, for people that don't know who you are, introduce yourself.

Peace! My name is Akrobatik, from Boston, Massachusetts in the ‘good ole’ U.S. of A. I represent detonator records and positivity worldwide.

How did you get into hip-hop ? What made you start rhyming ?

I have been an avid hip-hop fan since I was about 9 years old. After listening to Kool Moe Dee and Run DMC, I knew I was destined to rhyme, although I never realized just how far I could possibly take it. The idea of people liking my music in lands I have never visited is truly humbling.

How did you get signed to Detonator Records ?

The owner of Detonator (Pete Bazile) heard me freestyling on the air and invited me to a freestyle session that would be recorded live and be released on a mixtape. Everyone was there- 7L and Esoteric, Mr. Lif, Virtuoso, etc… Anyway – Pete was so impressed with my rhyming and the few songs he heard that he expressed interest in having me be the furst artist on a label he was starting. The rest is history.

You produced 2/3rds of your EP. How did you get into this ? Do you enjoy it more than the emceeing?

I love making beats. I feel like the backdrop for your lyrics is just as important as what’s being said. I learned how to produce hip-hop music by watching my DJ from my old school group get busy back in the days. Sometimes making a tight soundscape can be much more refreshing than penning a rhyme. I love to do both, but the reaction I get from fans when I rhyme is probably more satisfying than production.

”Internet MC's“ caused quite a stir. Do you think a lot of people misinterpreted the message as one of a general rant against hip-hop online, rather than geeky teenage ”netcees“ ?

Yeah, but that’s because people are ignorant. People look for drama in their lives and want a reason to be like ”Fuck Him!’… If heads really listened, they would see that I am focused on one particular type of person. In fact, the song is made all in good fun. I would hope that no one would let 40 bars of rhyme become so insecure about what they do and how they spend their time. The people that got mad at this song have some soul-searching to do, because it’s definitely not anything to be mad about. I laugh very hard when people express ager towards those lyrics.

Speaking of this release, the superb artwork impressed a lot of people. will the sleeve artwork ever be available in poster form ?

I doubt rawkus cares to do that, and I sure as hell ain’t paying for it.

Still speaking of this release, are the chorus scratches vocal ??

Absolutely!

You've done quite a few collabos with Mr Lif. What is your connection with him ?

Lif and I are very close. He is one of my all-time best friends. We plan on doing an album together under the group name “Perceptionists.” I look forward to it, because I think we could go down as one of hip-hop’s best duos on the mic and on the beats.

The Boston hip-hop scene has quite a few really good artists. Do you think it is one of the most underrated states in the US for hip-hop ?

No. In fact, it may be a little overrated. I would like to see the artists here not be so comfortable with the same old same old and push the envelope a little more. Especially with the live shows. Boston is cool, but it could use a lot more soul.

You opened for Eminem and A Tribe Called Quest. What was the reception like ?

I always get the crowd open, but as I have released more and more material, the responses have gotten better and better. The Tribe show was amazing. I kicked an a capella freestyle incorporating the names of many of their songs and albums…The crowd was in hysterics. One of the greaatest moments of my life!

Will you be coming over to the UK for any live shows ?

I hope so – maybe you can help me out with that…

Know anything at all about our scene, and the people in it ?

I know that Killa Kela is the motherfucking man!! Big ups also to Roots Manuva and Cookie Crew! I can’t wait to bring my hip-hop to the UK!!

How can people find out more about Akrobatik ?

Just listen to the lyrics! Also, detonatorrecords.com will be up and running soon!