það á að vera secret message í þessu lagi held ég sem er ekkert nýtt EN ég fann síðu þar sem einhver gaur er að lýsa því hvernig þetta allt gerðist.

I first became aware of this message in Janurary of 1980, shortly after the release of the album “The Wall.” I was attending Duke University at the time, and a dorm buddy of mine told me about it, where it was, and that it was backward masked.

So I took my LP to the studios of the campus radio station, WDUK, and taped the segment containing the message. I then cut the segment out, reversed it, and spliced it back into the tape. Playing this reversed segment, I realized that the message was heard on only one channel, the right, if memory serves me correctly. So my first step was to mute the other channel. I then discovered that by filtering the signal through an equalizer adjusted as a bandpass filter for the frequencies between 400 and 1400 Hz, that all sounds except the message could be eliminated. Waters' voice was crystal clear. Later, with the advent of CD's, computer sound cards, and DSP, I tried this again by playing the segment on the CD, saving it as a .WAV file, and performing the aforementioned steps digitally. The results were the same. I encourage anyone interested to try this method, it is far easier, and provides superior results to the “finger on the label” trick.

The message says: “Congratulations, you have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, c/o The Funny Farm…” I believe “Old Pink” refers to the Syd Barrett incarnation of the band, and the mythos surrounding his exit. I also wondered what question I was supposed to answer. Well, in my opinion, the question is: “What shall we do now?” You see, the original dust cover (not the jacket) contains lyrics for the song of that name. This song appears in the movie of “The Wall,” on the recording of the live performance, and even in Waters' live performance at the Berlin Wall. But that song never appears on the vinyl or CD. In its place is the secret message.

A final thought- In early 1980, I did send a letter to Old Pink, at the specified address, containing my answer. It was returned, unopened, as “addressee unknown.”

ee. já
málið er, skilur hann einhver, ég er að meina hvernig hann spilaði þetta afturábak