1. Quotið frá wikipedia er frá samtökum næringarfræðinga sem að segja grænmetisfæði geta uppfyllt allar næringarþarfir einstaklings. Ég er mjög spenntur fyrir því að sjá hvernig hugari sem virðist geta gert lítið annað en að móðga aðra ætlar að gagnrýna fólk sem er með háskólamenntun í næringarfræði. Ef að Wikipedia er ekki nógu gott fyrir þig eru fleiri síður hérna:
1) Decreased risk of heart disease. Vegetarians have a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease than non-vegetarians. The reason behind this is that vegetarians normally have low cholesterol levels than other people. They are also less likely to be overweight and suffer from high blood pressure.
2) Better management of diabetes. Experts say a high carbohydrate intake improves diabetic control. Combined with a high fiber diet that vegetarians enjoy greatly eliminates the need for drugs in some people.
3) Decreased severity of colonic disease. Since they are high in fiber, vegetarian diets can be useful in diverticulosis (the presence of small, saclike swellings in the wall of the colon), constipation, and other colonic diseases.
4) Decreased obesity. Vegetarians are less overweight than their non-vegetarian counterparts. That's because they eat a lot of fiber which is filling but not fattening.
Nutrition experts have built up convincing evidence that there are major problems with the conventional American diet, which is centered around meat products that are high in cholesterol and saturated fat and low in fiber. Heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, which cause 68% of all deaths in America, are all believed to be influenced by this diet. Nutritionists have repeatedly shown in studies that a healthy diet consists of plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, and foods that are high in fiber and low in cholesterol and saturated fat. Vegetarianism, a diet that fulfills all these criteria, has become part of many healthy lifestyles.
og hérna er ein eftir íslenskan næringafræðing:http://www.doktor.is/index.php?do=view_grein&id_grein=2142&option=com_d-greinar