Mæli sterklega með að lesa þetta í gegn og kíkja á neðsta myndbandið

Við fáum aftur ingame consol og mod tools yippeeee

————————-
Tekið af www.Bashandslash.com
————————-
CoD:BO: We get a dev console
Written by Jock
Thursday, 19 August 2010

A few weeks ago, a very high level meeting occurred at Treyarch where the topic of PC support arose. My sources indicate that key figures in that meeting stood up and defended the wants and desires of the hardcore PC community. Those figures were Treyarch's Community Manager and former CoD-blogger and modder, JD_2020 (Josh) and lead PC developer, pcdev (Cesar).

The rumor was that JD and pcdev won the day. Though the exact topics of the meeting were not revealed, some of us in the community were told “not to worry”.

When I'm told not to worry, of course I immediately begin to worry.

What happened during that meeting?
What could have happened if Josh and Cesar were not there to boost the PC platform?

Difficult to answer these questions directly, but after the news from Gamescom today, I am only now beginning to realize what might have been at stake during that session.

But let's get to the big news. Simply put:

1. The PC platform will get a developer console in CoD:Black Ops. That is, you will be able to adjust some variables (Cvars) directly through your keyboard, whilst in-game. This has been possible on all PC-CoD's, with the exception of MW2.

2. Mod-tools, which are used to create new community maps, are not ready for deployment day one of release. However, the developers will be addressing them afterwards (presumably in the new year). The release of mod-tools has been made difficult due to changes in the CoD engine.

This info came to light in a conversation by a German forum group with Josh during today's Gamescom interviews. A translation of which appears here.

It was all confirmed on callofduty.com a little later:

We plan to open the game up for modding sometime post-launch. We do not know yet to what extent you will be able to mod the game. There are some purely technical issues related to engine and internal tool enhancements that do not easily fit the modtools paradigm. We have looked at it close enough to see that it is non-trivial and we will have to pick it up again post-launch. Right now we are completely focused on finishing the game.

And, dev console: confirmed.

-pcdev-

Bottom line

Configs…scripts…in-game binds…yup, looks like we still have that ability.

Mods? I cannot see why not, even on release. Mod-tools are generally necessary for community mappers, whereas modders can make due with even simple Wordpad as their “tool”. Therefore, mods should be do-able.

A good day for the PC

Ironically, I had asked the “console” question to Cesar only a day earlier. He did not deny it's existence and that sometimes means its confirmation in pre-launch dev-speak.

All this is obviously great news for the community.

Interestingly, some are right now thinking that we have hit a tipping point. Maybe, we are now forever assured of getting dev consoles and mod tools (and lean…and prone…etc.) for the rest of time?

I don't think we should think that this decision was anything like a slam-dunk for Treyarch. It was undoubtedly earned through some courageous direction from PC-boosters like pcdev and JD_2020. These two deserve much of our appreciation as of course does Treyarch as a whole, for providing us a home for our hobby.

Having said that…what if pc-dev wasn't around? What if JD_2020 wasn't at that meeting to shout down the forces of consolization? What if Rob Bowling (XBox booster and not much of a PC-enthusiast) was?

I shudder to think.

But I'll worry about all this tomorrow. Today…we celebrate!

Sparrrrrttttaaaaa!!!!

Here is a nice set of vids showing the rather cramped quarters within Gamescom where JD_2020 has been fielding questions (vengono dal sito: cyberludus)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWK-PTEmpG0&feature=player_embedded
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZcqHgTa2J0&feature=player_embedded

CoD:BO pcdev Interview
Written by jockyitch
Monday, 13 September 2010

Treyarch's very own PC platform lead developer, Cesar Stastny (aka pcdev) talks extensively regarding what Call of Duty:Black Ops will bring to the PC. Cesar is a huge PC booster and as I found out, a larger than life figure. He is one of the “old guys” at Trey, yet has more energy than most of the young devs.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5AskkQcRUw&feature=player_embedded