Þetta viðtal er tekið beintaf Secondsout.com og ætti að gleðja alla Vargas aðdáendur.

Vargas wiser, but still ferocious
April 19, 2001 – By Paul Upham: Former IBF junior middleweight champion “Ferocious” Fernando Vargas has recovered from the mental scars he received in his loss to Felix Trinidad and appears ready to return to the ring.
Vargas faces Wilfredo Rivera, 31-4-1, in El Paso, Texas, on May 5 in a fight that will give him the opportunity to show the world he is back.
“Everything has been real great this camp. We got back to the essence of what got me to being world champion,” said Vargas, 20-1 (18).
“I feel great and my legs are as quick as always. My punches are quick and I feel a lot more ready for this fight than I was for my last one.”
After having December, January and February away from boxing and training, Vargas has returned with renewed enthusiasm and a desire to show the world what he has learned.
“I feel good and I’m glad that I’ve been sparring hard and working good. I look forward to stepping back into the ring and showing the world a much more wiser Fernando Vargas.”
Vargas knows that Rivera will come to fight and is looking forward to some opposition that will test him and allow the best of Fernando Vargas to come to the fore.
“He is a tough fighter and comes to fight, but I am definitely going to be ready for whatever he brings to the table. I just feel that I want to make a statement and I’m going to do that on May 5.”
Looking back on his super-fight with Felix Trinidad last December 2, Vargas can see the mistakes he made in that fight and feels that he is a much wiser boxer for the experience. Even though he lost the fight, Vargas can see how it will help in his career and it is easy to forget that he is still only 22 years old.
“I saw all the things that I did wrong. I made a lot of mistakes in that fight. I went out there to be a brawler and everybody knows that I’m an intelligent boxer-puncher. He caught me and he beat me. I’ve learned from that. I think if I would have been intelligent from the beginning it wouldn’t have even been a close fight because I have so much better legs than he does.”
“I take nothing away from him. He beat me. I’d love to step into the ring and fight him again, but I know that he won’t do that though,” said Vargas, who plans to be active and earn a world title shot.
“We are definitely getting out there to fight and looking to fight for a title again, depending on whom we can fight. It doesn’t matter to me. I’ll fight anybody. I just want to step back into the ring and be world champion,” said Vargas.
With Oscar De La Hoya challenging WBC junior middleweight champion Javier Castillejo on June 9, a De La Hoya-Vargas clash would be an absolute blockbuster and Vargas is open to the fight.
“De La Hoya can say whatever he wants to say. I’m not too hard to reach. I’m not too hard to find. If they want to step up and fight me, we can do it anytime they want to do it.”
Vargas makes the 154 pound limit comfortably but would move up to middleweight for the right fights.
If Trinidad becomes the undisputed middleweight champion, would Vargas move up to 160 pounds to face him?
“Absolutely!” said Vargas.
“I’ll fight anybody. It don’t matter. I’ll fight Shane Mosley. I’ll fight anybody. It depends on who’s there and who’ll fight me.”
Vargas was in a war with Trinidad and one of the things that hurt the most was the loss of his world title belt from around his waist.
“That’s what I pride myself on, being world champion and I know I’m going to be champion again real soon. I want to be undisputed junior middleweight champion of the world. I want to go out there and show the world that I haven’t gone nowhere.”
Vargas feels that he still has a lot of improvement in him and that the world has not seen the best of Fernando Vargas yet.
“I think that I’m still developing. I’m only 22 years of age. I’ve fought great fighters and beat them. I’ve learned a lot from my last fight. You are going to see a very explosive Fernando Vargas on May 5 in El Paso. A very intelligent and explosive Fernando Vargas. The one you saw with Yory Boy Campas, Raul Marquez and Ike Quartey.”