78th chapter.

When hope shines dim

Mavalas was at the end of his rope. He had no more power. Cut off from nature and already having spent his energy he was at his last pool of power.
With his staff he spun around slashing and breaking the gargoyles. He imbued his moves with energy which at this point was all that was holding him up.
He recited a poem and his voice boomed over the valley.

„Feel the ending, feel the fall
Feel the power that‘s yours through it all
And this is the power, this is the fall
this is the end and the meaning of it all“

over and over he said the verse, his muscles working those few extra seconds because of it.
He was losing. He didn‘t care. He was failing his mission. Right now it wasn‘t his problem. All he was going to do was to kill as many of the bastards as many times he could.all that he could do. It was all anyone could do.

Frostwind had lost his mount along with his draenei allies. They had not been very mobile in the air, allways half falling over the edge. But they’d held their own and they had taken down the undead with as much brute force as they did with their skill with the light.
But when the undead air force was reborn, the draenei had no element of surprise and by frostwinds advice they flew down to the ground, adding to the heals and blessings of the druids. That is until arthas brought down his anti magic shell leaving them all virtually defenseless.
Frostwind was now among the wounded and the injured watching in horror as the undead army walked slowly but surely towards them.
He tried to cast a defensive spell, it didnðt work, he tried to mold something out of ice, it didn’t work, he tried to conjure himself a glass of water,it did not work.
Magic was shut off, completely. And now for the first time in a long while frostwind felt useless.
Hope was a thing of the past. There was nothing they could do now. They were outnumbered, outgunned and even if they won this battle by some incredible luck,their enemies would be born again and again untill the work would be done.
It was over.
Teddy shook his shoulder. he looked at him and saw him as he stared at the top of the mud tower.
Frostwind stared as well.
Manvalas stood there, all alone, surrounded by gargoyles and fought them off, one by one.
There were screams,there was yelling,bones and stones fell from the tower. And manvalas did not relent.A booming voice spoke incomprehensible words.
A spark was given life in frostwinds heart.
And that spark became a flame when through the shield burst the final reinforcement.
The gatekeepers were here.

The scene was so intense and isntant as they broke through the walls of the shield that ankthar almost veered right into a mountain.
He instantly changed from his elven form to a dwarf and yelled out:!“blimey! What in tha durned ‘orld is happening ‘ere?“
Exen’tor mizra and sira’dreth had a far worse case of shock.
With the undead forces ,sworddevil and arthas so near gave way to their undead halves.
Sira’dreth felt her body change into something more insubstant, mizra shrivelled in pain as her soul longed to be whole and exen’tor fell of ankthars mount as he spasmed around.
Wisim didn’t feel the ripple, as he had kept his soul relatively intact. But he definately felt it when his daughters both suddenly took a dive 200 meters up in the air.
„What the….what are you…. „he yelled as he fell from the blanket they were holding him with.

They were all in pain, as the corruption took hold over their bodies. They knew the drill, recited their poems, allowed their inner demons to surge forward and kept their balance.
Ankthar realised what was happening and left Exen‘tor there falling to save wisim who suddenly was falling to his death.
Green wings sprouted from exen‘tors back and he took flight, Mizra and sira‘dreth recovered too and gained height.
„What in the name of frostmourne is happening here?“ Mizra almost yelled at Exen‘tor.
„Undead“ he replied scanning the valley.
Sira‘dreth lowered herself to their eye level.
„Undead?sure that would explain our condition, but what would the undead be doing all the way here. I mean look at their numbers this is no small contingent, this is an invasion!“
„Excactly.why do you think we are fighting off the corruption right now?“
„There are more than sworddevil here. Someone high up a captain ,general or even…“
„Arthas“ , mizra concluded.
„Possibly. This is probably why we were supposed to come here. Manvalas is probably somewhere around.“
There was silence.
„Anyway arthas or not, we have our work cut out for us,we need to get rid of those undead“ exen‘tor concluded.
Mizra and sira you two and me will take care of the airforce.
He pointed to ankthar and wisim who was struggling not to fall off: „you two distract the land army. We‘ll be by your side soon.“
Ankthar nodded. Wisim opened his eyes and looked at exen‘tor and asked:“me?“
Exen‘tor and his daughers flew away towards the black mass the encircled the strange brown tower leaving wisim alone with Ankthar to take care of the entire land army.
„But, but i‘m not a warrior. I cant just…“
„A‘right me lad let‘s git to it.“ Now jsut hold on a moment wisim protested before ankthar took off.
„But i‘m not .. i‘m not really. They flew off towards the battle. „
Ankthar asked wisim: „kin ye cast a spell tha dampens ah‘r fall?“
„Well yeah but that takes.“
„Ahright then then we aint got nothing ta wait for.“
„Butbutbut…“
Ankthar jumped off the gryphon and tugged wisim along sending them both off.
„I‘M, A WIZARD, NOT A BASEJUMPING IDIOT.“
„I beg ta differ lad. Now cast that spell.“
Wisim cast the pell in a second and only a moment before they landed. He was ready with two spells in hand, ankthar was already wielding his dual axes and the landed in the middle of a a group of zombies wielding bows and arrows.
„Ankthar, i‘m going to turn you into a sheep one day and eat you.“
„ah hope ah‘ll be tasteful.“
His axes seemed to be on fire as he slashed through the first zombie.
most plans are critically flawed by their own logic.a failure at any step will ruin everything after it.